Accidentally deleting a hard-drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by the_wallcrawler, Mar 1, 2003.

1. the_wallcrawler macrumors regular

Ok. heres the situation. my roommate was trying to delete some files that were on his desktop. while doing this he accidentally selected one of his hard drive partitions. he hit apple-delete to send these to the trash. the system asked him for his password and not realizing why he just typed it in. after realizing this he went into the trash to bring the drive back out. but.....nothing there. obviously the system still has some remnants of the drive, but in the "computer" folder the drive doesnt show up and in finder searches nothing comes up. so.....what happened? can he get his stuff back? any help would be great.

eric.

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it just ejected/unmounted it, not really a problem. its just like ejecting a cd. reboot the machine, and it should remount fine.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

If a whole partition of a hard drive was accidently removed (!!) you might need some sort of recover data program to get the data back, although I'm not sure if this will work.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that would happen if he hit "Apple E"...in this case...somehow the hard drive did delete with the combo "Apple Delete"...

that's pretty weird... :eek:

5. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Apple-Delete will not do anything to a hard drive, or even a selected range of files if they have a drive selected with them, you would have to drag it to the trash. Unless the person actually used a program to erase the drive, it is still there and perfectly in tact, just unmounted like a CD, but obviosly it doesn't eject in response. Just reboot the machine and you will be fine, I just tested this on my own computer to make sure, have a drive with no critical data on it.