AccuPlacer Exam..eeek!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maestro55, May 31, 2006.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Texas Community/Technical colleges have a test call the AccuPlacer which is given on the computer. This test includes ELA and Math (and no calculators can be used) and determines if a student must go into remedial classes. I have put this test off the entire year and I am taking it tomorrow afternoon. I am VERY nervous that I won't do well on the Math portion of the test. Math has never been my strong point and is the reason that I must take the test. You have to get a 2200 on the Math TAKS (TAKS is a test in Texas used as an exit exam..) to be exempt on the AccuPlacer. I had a 2164. That compared to my other tests.

Language Arts - 2435
    Science 2212
    Social Studies - 2659

Was low (science wasn't much better). Anyhow, there is no Science/History on the AccuPlacer, just ELA and Math, and I suspect I will do fine on the ELA portion. The Math I don't know. So I am just taking this moment to rant one last time before I go take the test.. Also to ask for everyone to wish me luck, honestly, it may take divine intervention to keep me out of a remedial class for Math. If I have to take a remedial math class my whole time at TSTC (Texas State Technical College) is thrown out of whack. I have seven semesters lined up right now, and looking for how I will pay for all of that, much less have to find time and take a remedial math class.

I am just really stressed out, and wish Math was something that came easy to me.

/rant off

2. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

Everyone said that the AccuPlacer was very hard, but I took it in high school when I was working to get dual credit and found that it wasn't nearly as bad as they made it out to be.

Just pace yourself and focus.

If you did well on the TAKS test, then I'm sure you'll be fine. From what I heard, the TAKS is a lot harder that then TAAS.

Good luck!

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

^^exactly what he said. except beware of the writing--it's graded by a computer so you have to be careful what you write. i took it this spring through SAC for dual-credit US History AP

edit: about math, the only test i had to take was "elementary algebra" but i hear there's a 2nd based on how you do on the first. idk if you take it if you do especially poorly or especially well, since i didn't have to take it.

4. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Good Luck!:) :) :)

Math isn't my strong point either, I just passed the Math TAKS.

5. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

Thank you all for the comments, I guess 2164 was okay on the TAKS Math, it was way above the minimum passing level, but then again that was a year ago and I had a calculator. I took a math class this year that I was required to in order to make sure this stuff stayed fresh on my mind, and hopefully that helped me some.

So we will see... I will let you all know how I do. I guess the good thing is I won't be hungry during the test, having a Fiesta tomorrow after graduation practice (my yearbook advisor is hispanic, and makes EXCELLENT mexican food, and she is serving her yearbook seniors tomorrow as a thank you for a great final year on the staff).

6. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

Err... So looks like I will be in a remedial math class.. here were my scores:

Reading: 90
    Sentence Structure: 104
    Writing: 7 (out of a possible 8.. I don't know what the highs and lows are for everything else.. )
    Algebra: 47
    Arithmetic: 52

So I did well on ELA and bombed the Math. It is a bummer. but I will see how the remedial classes go, and they might help me some and then I will go about my business take every day one at a time and finish TSTC, get out and find a job and make good money.

7. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

Sorry you didn't do so well on the math portion of the test. At least it wasn't as bad as the TASP test, which is the AccuPlacer's older counterpart that was on paper. I'm not sure they even administer that any longer. I took the AccuPlacer myself, but heard the TASP was worse.

You did well on the language portion, though, and that's a good thing to have in this day and age. Most people I went to high school with were native English speakers and couldn't string an intelligible sentence together.

8. sareendeep macrumors newbie

Accuplacer

Hi,
    Few days back, I give the Accuplacer Test ,and I scored

Maths - 112
    Reading - 56
    Writing - 65

I am preparing it again . Can you please guide me.m good at maths but m not good in English.
    speciallt in Reading part..Infact in all..Please help me..

Thanks