Accuweather is ridiculous right now...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lara F, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Lara F macrumors 6502a

My weather widget for Pittsburgh has a nice bright sun graphic courtesy of Accuweather (it matches the website). Only problem is there's a freaking thunderstorm going on outside. :rolleyes: The sun hasn't even been out for hours.

Any other similar stories? I've also gotten the sun at night a few times! :p

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have had that happen a couple of times, but then i just reload it a couple of mins. later and its back to normal.

If its still not right, i just look at the Radar In Motion widget.

3. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Weather Widget is a Freakin Joke

I am in the Midwest. It's been over 90 degrees for a whole week now, and the widget says it is 74 degrees. Bull. I deactivated it finally because it was pissing me off. It's freakin' hot here!

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Accuweather has to be one of the most world's great misnomers. Their forecasts are too generalized and you don't know where they're getting their current conditions in terms of location or timing.

5. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Often it rains where i am when it's just cloudy.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Happens every now and then for me, too, since me and the weather station by the airport in Bergen are on opposite sides of a mountain, with the weather station nearer the cost and it's often clearer there then within the town (which is, literally, surrounded by mountains).

Today the weather widget has shown fair weather all day while it's been poring down. And my girlfriend, who works on an island even further out than the airport, actually commented on it when she came home from work today and said something like "<mumble>back in the rain</mumble>". ;)

But, even with those small differences I'm actually quite impressed with the weather widget and Meteorologist. Most of the time it's very accurate. :)

7. dav macrumors 6502

I guess it doesn't matter much for me.. Every day is the same.

What a boring widget

[​IMG]

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I've never had a problem with mine, it works like a charm every day and is completely accurate. I even asked two of my buddies if they've had problems and neither one of them have had any either.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Mine tends to see the future - today it told me it was raining, when it was sunny. But lo and behold, not long afterwards it's pouring down! :eek:

I'll wait and see how accurate this ends up being:

Attached Files:

10. wtmcgee macrumors regular

I live in FL, so the weather widget is essentially useless. The forecast for every day says thunderstorms - because every day at 3:30, we get our daily afternoon t-storm. It's always sunny till 3-4ish, rains for a half hour, then perfect out again. :D

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Every day is completely accurate? Now, I'd call that a miracle. It sure ain't science!

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nah, it just means that they're only looking at the current weather, not the forecasts ;)

13. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Mine's iffy too:

Attached Files:

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It is sunny when it is 1:40 am. I guess I have 24 sunlight. :cool: :rolleyes:

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Even so... you never really know where the current conditions data are coming from, or how often they're being updated. The NWS is experimenting with a service that interpolates pretty well between weather stations, but services like Accuweather and Weatherdata don't even try. "Your" weather could be the conditions reported at an airport 30 miles away.

16. unfaded macrumors 6502

The fact that AccuWeather can't predict Los Angeles weather is completely ridiculous.

72 degrees for the next 20 years.

See? I did that and AccuWeather can't.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, the widget's only showing what it's told!

It would be nice if the feature where you click on the city name to go to the Accuweather page worked all the time.

(By the way, this seems to be a long-term problem with Accuweather. I definitely remember radio stations using them and joking about it being sunny and clear late at night.)

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I just got rid of the weather widget when I finally wised up and got Meterologist, which works with weather.com. Much, much better, and it is freeware...

19. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

If I had room on my menu bar (I have a 12" laptop monitor) I might use Meteorologist. However I don't like how it is for forecasts. I hope weather.com releases their own widget or at least Apple uses their database for the forecasts.

20. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform