ACD 30" opinions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by murphdog, Nov 5, 2005.

1. murphdog macrumors newbie

Well I was tossing up between either the twin 20" or single 23" but after visiting an apple reseller with a 30" on display I think i'm in love. It sure would go nicely with my quad...what are peoples opinions on the display?
    cheers

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I've only seen it at the apple store but it's amazing. Video and Photos look like they pop out at you! I would get it if you have the money.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I agree with G5 unit. I don't have one but have playing with them longingly at the apple store - whoa :eek:. I'm going to get one as soon as I find a buyer for my mother ;).

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hehe nice addition to the Quad :D :cool:

5. link92 macrumors 6502

I own one. The quality is second to none especially if you calibrate it.

But one bit of adivce: don't have your browser open at full screen. Even websites built to be resolution independent often don't work well at 2560x1600. :)

Oh, and you might as well have your dock at max. size and always visible with this much space :)

My only complain about it: where do you get 2560x1600 desktops?:rolleyes:

6. Bear macrumors G3

I have mine on order. It's set to ship with my Quad.

Rememebr if you're doing photo or video work, it's good to calibrate the display.

7. Bear macrumors G3

The same way I get it for my current systems. I use photos I've taken and crop them to the correct aspect ratio (of the target system) and then resize it. On my desktop system I have a sleeping lion picture and on my laptop I have a tiger picture.

If you don't have any good photos of your own, find someone who has good pictures.

Is there a market for selling wallpaper?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Very good advice. One of the idea behind a large screen is so you can see multiple windows at once. Two (or more) browser windows side by side.

Or a browser window for reference and a document you are working on. Or two documents side by side - one for reference.

For width of a browser window, I'd say somewere between 850 and 1075 pixels is a good width. Very few website (if they're designed properly) should require wider than that.

I'm using about 850 for the browser width currently.

9. Aarow macrumors 6502a

This may sound kinda dumb, but how do you calibrate a display?

10. Bear macrumors G3

Well some people calibrate it by eye, but I would recommend getting one of the packages.

Either the Spyder2 Pro from ColorVision or the GretagMacBeth Eye-One Display will work. These are the two that are most recommended by people.

11. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I've used the 30 a few times at school and I think its absolutely amazing! I would definately buy a 30'' if I didn't need portability.

12. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

I have the 30" and it is simply amazing. Although quite pricey, using it more and more makes it more and more worth it. Looking forward to hooking this thing up to my Quad when it comes in ...

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    First time I saw the 30" ACD in the Apple store, my mouth dropped open and I stared in astonishment. WOW. WOWOWWOWOW!!!!!

Droooooolllll..........

If I ever get a PowerMac, I'd want the 30" ACD to go with it, especially for image editing and such.

Any way you can connect a TV tuner and also use the thing for TV viewing? It would sure save on buying a new TV! I'll bet it's fantastic for viewing DVD movies....

OTB

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I had a two 20-inch setup and sold them to get the 30.

No comparison.

15. murphdog thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like I cant go wrong...
    hows the heat comming out of them?
    I checked the 30" out again today next to a 23" and it just looked tiny but still very nice...???
    Its a hard one, i'm sure I will be ahppy either way!

16. DSign macrumors newbie

DSign

My opinion on the 30", its way to big!:eek: (Buy it if u want RSI in youre neck;) )

Give me the 23" instead, not to big and not to small just perfect :cool: !

17. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Who opens things full screen on a mac unless it's necessary? :cool: I can see how annoying a 30" display would be with Windows since apps are designed to fill the whole screen. The Windows windowing system is such a huge design flaw.

18. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i just dont get this. your eyes are able to move in your sockets you know ;)

its far worse switching your head between two screens than one large one.
    go for the 30inch... its amazing

19. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I've had my 30" ACD for over a year now and I am still in awe of it. I paid $3,300 for mine and I think it was well worth it. With the price at only $2,500 now, I think I may have to buy another one. :D
    I do video, graphics, desktop publishing etc. for work. The extra screen space makes me much more productive. I highly recommend!

20. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

21. RyanSA4 macrumors member

RyanSA4

22. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

23. pionata macrumors 6502

24. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

If you have the dough, get the 30.

I had a tough choice when I got my new G5. It was either a 30 and a Dual 2.0, or a 23 and a Dual 2.7. I went with the 23 and the 2.7. That being said, if at the time I had the cash for the 2.7 and the 30 I'd get it.

There are lots of places to get 2560 x 1600 desktops, you just need to know where to look.

25. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think that was his question.