ACD as TV/Computer Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlexGFX88, Feb 28, 2007.

1. AlexGFX88 macrumors member

Hello,

I was wondering if I could use he ACD as a tv as well as a computer monitor? I see that it oly has a VGA(or DVI) thingy, but is there anyway to get an adapter so it will work with an analog cable line?(Coax cable, I think).

(I can also get component cables to work, just would need a cable box...)

Basically I want to set it up so my room only has one monitor... for both computer and TV and I'd like to use AppleTV as well...

I just confused myself o_O hope someone knows what I'm jibbring on about.

Thanks.
    Alex

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I'm relatively sure the ACD only has one DVI input. I think you can adapt that to a number of things, but unless you could find some sort of a switch or adapter: only one at a time.

Elgato makes some interesting Mac-compatable products.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Dell 2407WFP Have Video Inputs Your Cable Box Can Drive. EyeTV Hybrid

Do you already have an ACD? If not buy a Dell 2407WFP with video inputs you can drive from your cable box.

Can you get off air reception of digital broadcasts? If so, buy an EyeTV Hybrid analog/digital tuner that turns your Mac into a TV and a Tivo.

What Mac model are you driving your screen with?

4. AlexGFX88 thread starter macrumors member

MBP, and I'm not sure, how can I find out? (If it supports off air)

Cheers,
    Alex

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Have You Bought ACD Yet? Where Are You?

You didn't answer if you have ACD yet? Where are you? If you live in a city with broadcast transmitters you have access to off air digital.

6. AlexGFX88 thread starter macrumors member

No I do not.

I live in Bristol, TN.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Appear To Be 60 Miles From Knoxville TN & Winston-Salem NC Broadcast Towers

OK then the Dell 2407WFP is your solution. It has component, composite and S-Video inputs as well as VGA in addition to DVI. Yes 5 inputs. Here's the link to Dell 2407WFP on sale now for $674 page (10% off).

EyeTV Hybrid can be used with your MBP to also use your Dell 2407WFP as an HDTV and TIVO with the addition of a large external FW or USB2 drive from off air digital broadcasts.

Looks like Bristol is 60 miles away from Knoxville TN & Winston-Salem NC Broadcast towers. Are they high enough for you to get analog TV signals in the air? If so digital is there as well. Are you facing SOUTHWEST toward Knoxville or SouthEast toward Winston-Salem?

8. AlexGFX88 thread starter macrumors member

I'm face towards knoxville, I usually go get all my stuff from the Apple Store in Knoxville

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Do you have a TV antennae on your roof for broadcast TV reception or not? Do you have neighbors who get off air braodcast TV?

10. AlexGFX88 thread starter macrumors member

No I have no antenna, it comes from the pole lines.

Thanks,
    Alex

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Google: "HDTV Reception Bristol TN" Alex

Here's the link to the EyeTV Hybrid for $150. Here's the link for the Dell 2407WFP for only $674 on sale now.

You seem to be replying as if off air reception is impossible. Is that what you mean to say? It is not impossible as I was able to find out with a simple Google.

I googled "HDTV Reception Bristol TN" and found many links to help you understand your situation. For example:

Looks like you have digital in the air Alex. You need to do some reading from a Google like the one I did. EyeTV Hybrid with a Roof antennae or a flagpole type mast antennae like he describes should do the job.

TIP: Use this link to the Forum Spy page to know when anyone makes a post so you can follow any thread up to the second.

12. AlexGFX88 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as dumb :p

I have cable through Charter Communications, could I not go thorugh the cable box as normal and then into the monitor? I'm still confused by all this, I'm not really big on TV's so I don't know much about them :( Sorry. Or could I go through EyeTV through the box? Hmmm I think I seen on the site where that isn't possible. Isn't putting an antenna on my roof and stealing signals illegal?

Sorry for my misunderstanding,
    Alex

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

We Need To Talk

Stealing signals? Are you an American? Broadcast signals are public property and belong to all of us for the taking FREE. It's not only legal, it's encouraged by the National Assn of Broadcasters.

This is too complicated to cover with text for someone like yourself. Do you have an AIM account for iChat setup? You have iChat Video built into your MBP for FREE you know. Let's do an audio chat.

my AIM name is "kungag5". What's yours?