ACD for home cinema?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by heynsmd2, Mar 20, 2006.

1. heynsmd2 macrumors newbie

heynsmd2

Hi, I would like to know how a ACD 23" would fare as primary screen for a home cinema system in a small (4m x 4m or alternatively 13ft x 13ft) room, driven by a PowerBook G4 1.5ghz? Sources would include DVD's and Satelite tv via Elgato. No HD broadcasts yet available here. I'll probably replace the PB later with a dedicated mini for Home Theatre purposes (and be able to do 1080p with Dual Core...)

The ACD 23 seems to be reasonably priced here in South Africa compared to the mad prices of LCD tv's (which are generally 'outdated' with low resolution, 720p, and no DVI or HDMI inputs).

Would the ACD 23 be OK viewed from a distance and some off-axis viewing angles?

2. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Thats a good question - one I would also like an answer to.

I've often wondered about that.
    What is Elgato?

I also live in SA, and have often wondered about gettng TV on my powerbook.
    How are you currently doing it?

3. heynsmd2 thread starter macrumors newbie

heynsmd2

Elgato EyeTV is an analogue video recorder and tuner.

See these links:

http://www.zastore.co.za (go to 'videocards and acc' and then to elgato 200)

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv200

I've not used this device myself yet, as I am still currently deciding what's the best route to follow regarding home cinema setup, so no first hand experience.

I find the LCD/Plasma tv's sold locally to be really outdated with minimal features required (like DVI or HDMI inputs), if you want to integrate something like a Mac Mini. I'm in Kimberley/Bloemfontein, and perhaps I should look around Johannesburg when I get there again. Just thought the ACD fits my requirements perfectly (30" would be great but my PB 1.5 can't drive it...).

Even Dell's apparently well rated 24" screen doesn't seem to be available in SA on their website.

(ps. hope you enjoy the national holiday today!)