ACD with VGA port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fortetfn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. fortetfn macrumors member

I'd like to connect my ACD to my old pc, but it has VGA port on it. If I got a converter to do that, would it work? Does anyone know which converter I should use? Thanks a lot!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There are VGA -> DVI-D converters out there but they cost in the region of US$300 because there is quite a bit of complex computing to convert an analogue signal into a digital one.

Not really worth it in my opinion.

3. adav macrumors member

i would replace the graphics card in the old pc with the cheapest dvi-d card i could find. Basic graphics cards aren't that expensive nowadays and most have a compatible dvi-d port. Have a search around, i use eBuyer a lot (in the UK) for things like this. :D

4. fortetfn thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys for your wisdom... is ACD DVI-D or DVI-I ?

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It doesn't really matter. Both DVI-D and DVD-I ports work with DVI displays; the only real difference between them is that DVI-I ports output both analog signal and digital signals, so they can power an analog monitor with a DVI->VGA converter, but DVI-D ports only put out a digital signal, so you can't use a VGA monitor with one. Both DVI-D ports and DVI-I ports on video cards work fine with Apple Cinema Displays.

By the way, I feel your pain, fortetfn- I recently got a free last-gen 20" Cinema Display from my dad, but since my iBook (which I use for everything) only has a VGA port, it stays attached to my Cube or gaming PC.

Edit: Turns out that you can't plug DVI-I cables into DVI-D connectors (the long flat pin on the DVI-D is longer on the DVD-I), and current ACD's use DVD-I cables, so make sure you pick up the right video card. I'd thought the current displays would use DVD-D because the ADC->DVI adapter on my older Cinema Display uses DVD-D.

6. fortetfn thread starter macrumors member

I found this website (see below) that sells this adaptor for DVI female to VGA male.... if DVI-I can take digital and analog signals, does that mean VGA port can use ACD since ACD is DVI-I?

http://sewelldirect.com/dviaftovgam.asp

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I doubt that it will work. Newegg reviews of similar adapters say that they won't work with Mac monitors, but some other forums say that the newer ACDs do take an analog signal from a VGA->DVI-I adapter. Let us know how it turns out if you do end up buying the adapter!