ACDSee replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by orangefoodie, May 3, 2003.

1. orangefoodie macrumors member

Hi! I'm a new switcher (just got my 17 inch powerbook a week and a half ago) and I've been looking all over for something to replace ACDSee that was on my PC --- ACDSee for Mac just sucks compared to the PC version, and Preview and iPhoto just won't cut it. I'm trying to manage close to 1000 photos scanned from a book, and yeah... Can someone give me some pointers?

And please, don't say that Preview cuts it; if you've never used ACDSee for the PC, it's really hard to understand why it sucks.

2. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The thing I hate about macs is I can't seem to find a simple photo editor. I've been using ACDsee 3.0 PRO on my PC and I love it. it allows me to do some limited special affects, text, repairs, resizing, etc. I downloaded ACDSee for OSX and it plain and simply SUCKS!!!! It has no editing function what so ever. At least I can't find any. Please help!

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Get your head out of the ACDsee sand. Ever heard of iPhoto? It's included with every Mac. How about GraphicConverter? Photoshop Elements?

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

iPhoto SUCKS too. I haven't tried Photoshop Elements or GraphicConverter. Maybe I'll give them a try

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Never really used ACDSee ...

I use Pixelmator.

6. felt. macrumors 6502a

even though the OP was last seen 5 years ago just gonna say I like picasa :)

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

My big problem is I never look at the post dates! Sorry about that. I just installed ACDSee on my mac. Unlike the PC version, It doesn't do anything worthwhile so I did a search and this thread came up. Oh well!

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Gotta like how people bitch if you open a new thread, and how they bitch if you use an existing one... :D

I second the notion that neither iPhoto or Preview does what ACDsee does.

I got a free copy of ACDsee (PC version) in grad school as a part of a SW bundle given to all students, and before it became bloatware, it was actually pretty good.

It's one of the two apps that I have to keep XP (via Parallels) around for.

I'm most interested in the very lightweight database portion of it. Again, it became bloatware over the last 4-5 years so I'm referring to I think Version 3.

Edit to add: I just looked at Pixelmator and that looks to be an editing program. ACDsee is more of an image database.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. So everything that you've tried sucks. Perhaps you could state what is it about ASDsee and iPhoto that suck so that no one will suggest an app that also sucks.

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

You know what, I'm a good natured guy who likes to get along with everybody. Is is me? or does the last poster seem angry. Thank God for the ignore list

11. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Don't worry about it.

Otherwise, bumping this thread. Would love to have a functional equivalent to ACDSee so I can dump windows on my MBP...

12. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You won't find a replacement for ACDSee, it's the best bar none.

A killer app, too bad they completely ruined it with ACDSee Pro 3.

13. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Try Adobe's light room 3 Beta. It's free while in beta.

I think ACDSee is a "toy" application which excels at nothing.
    I want nothing to do with it, and I've run versions 1 through 3.

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Well, thanks for the suggestions, but Light Room is waaaaaay too much. I did download it and I'll still take it for a spin, but it's easy to tell that it's far too complicated for what I need.

Thanks though - my search continues...

15. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Try seashore.

It's Cocoa port of Gimp. It's free, and has only basic functions.

16. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

You get Adobe Bridge free with Photoshop Elements, problem solved.

17. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

OK, I think I see a problem here.

I'm looking for a replacement for the ACDSee of olden times, not any of the bloated newer version that have image editing and such.

Really, all I'm looking for is a image viewer that has a small database function. Sort by size, date, comments, image size, etc, plus the ability to launch other apps to show video or edit photos if need be.

The finder/Preview combo doesn't really work for this. iPhoto isn't it either. The Adobe offerings may do it, but I'm looking for a bicycle, not a Mack truck.

18. ooninay macrumors member

It seems as though feature bloat is part of the times we live in. Maybe by avoiding applications with more features than you want, you are also avoiding ones that may handle very well the minimal requirements that you have? Just a suggestion. I have used ACDSee in my Windows days and liked it a lot; it was my main photo manager. Now I use iPhoto, although somewhat begrudgingly. I'm trying to get all my files and data platform-independent these days, and since there's no iPhoto for Windows, it has fallen from my favour. Have you tried Picassa? It probably has more features than you need, but it seems like a reasonably good photo manager to me.

19. Subw00er macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a lightweight, fast and user friendly image viewer too. I've been an acdsee user since (literally) day 1 and after purchasing probably 10 different versions over the years, it really is a bloated pos program. Too bad, the 2nd or third version was great - fast, loaded quick, no extra useless features.

I load acdesee pro now and it takes 10 seconds before it opens. then it take another 15 seconds if I click on a large picture folder. Its pathetic, and I have a high end i7 machine with SSD drives. Thats just bad programming imo.

All I want is a program that loads quick, allows me to use PageUp and PageDown to view images in succession, maximize images to screen, sort by date or name, and move files to other preset locations. Oh I'd also like to hit enter and toggle between full screen and thumbnail view.. I'm fascinated I cant find this on mac or pc anymore.