Acer AL2416WD : Does it play well with Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrFrankTM, May 8, 2006.

1. DrFrankTM macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a Mac Mini in the next two weeks or so, but the question of the screen is still a big one for me. I would like to get as much screen space as possible because it contributes to both my enjoyment and the productivity of my computing experience. The maximum resolution that the Mac Mini handles is 1920x1200 if I am not mistaken. I think it will be enough for now. When I upgrade two years from now, I'll probably get a second 1920x1200 display.

For now though, I would like to find the best deal available for a 1920x1200 display. The one that seems to make most sense to me as of now is the following: The Acer AL2416WD. You can see the specifications here: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1776111&sku=A179-2400%20CA (and yes, I am aware that TigerDirect is sueing Apple for its use of the name "Tiger" for its OS).

My second choice would be the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=CADHS1&sku=320-4221&category_id=4009 . I've seen it recommended many times and I am sure it would do the job well.

I just don't quite understand why the Acer hasn't been getting any press in the Mac world. It seems to be an excellent display with a fabulous response time of 6ms. It's also pretty cheap, although I must say the Dell is now pretty much just as cheap and offers a few extra USB ports, which doesn't seem to be the case for the Acer.

Are there any other differences between the two that I should be aware of? Are there any other displays that I should consider? (By the way, I thought about going for a larger 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 display, but I travel a lot and need something that I can ship more or less cheaply halfway around the world every now and then.)

Thanks in advance! :)

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Don't go Acer.

I recently bought the 19" Widescreen, and it appeared to be fine. After a week i noticed that both sides of the screen were starting to get out of focus, and top left of the screen had some sort of wobble, sort of like that distortion you see when you look at heat bouncing off the road in summer.

I would stay clear of the Acer.

I lot of people praise the Dell's and apparently they use the same LCD screen as Apple's ACD.

Rich.

3. DrFrankTM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Rich! It answers my question loud and clear. I'll go with the Dell then.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Go dell all the way. You won't regret it. I love my dell 20" and the warranty service is outstanding. I got a defective monitor and the overnighted a new one to me.