acetone on black macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flaconlx, Mar 15, 2007.

1. flaconlx macrumors newbie

So earlier today, my macbook happened to get a tiny crack near the trackpad. I decided to go
    ahead and fix this crack with a little bit of superglue, which turned out to be not so good of an idea because now there's a superglue smudge on my computer.

So I was wondering, if I were to use acetone-based nail-polish remover to clean the superglue, would it end up staining my black macbook?

Thanks in advance.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Stain? Probably not. "Melt" the plastic? I'd bet on it. :p

I once left a cotton pad soaked w/ acetone on a remote... that stuff straight ate through a good chunk of the plastic before I realized what was happening. :eek:

3. flaconlx thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoa crap... haha. How about if I use it to rub it off, and then clean it right away afterwards? Do you think that would still damage it?

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sort of yeah. But by all means, if you're not that worried. :p (I'm surprised the super glue didn't do damage itself).

5. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

how about getting some goo gone?
    i dont know if that works on superglue but its way better than any alcohol....?

6. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

You can buy nail polish removers that are acetone free...but your best bet is the goo gone. It's a mild form of acetic acid I believe. Shouldn't do anything to the macbook.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

acetone will melt your case...

heh, someone put a rag that had acetone on one of the automation computers at work. looks like someone took a blow torch to it.

8. flaconlx thread starter macrumors newbie

Getting acetone-free nail polish would kind of defeat the purpose of using it as a superglue remover...

I think goo gone might be my best bet.

9. phidauex macrumors member

Honestly, I think you are out of luck. Cyanoacrylate glues work by dissolving the plastic, and then melting it together. The smudge isn't just some glue stuck to it, it is probably a slight melting of the paint and plastic.

Goo gone is a mild solvent, it won't get this off. Acetone doesn't work on dried super glue anyway, and would almost certainly soften the plastic.

You may just have to learn to live with it, if you try too many chemicals, you may find yourself damaging it further.

peace,
    sam

10. flaconlx thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true. I do get the feeling that if I keep trying stuff I'll only damage it further. Thanks for the help.