AcidSearch 0.5 Available

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkrishnan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Acidsearch 0.5 is now available -- in particular, the find-as-you-type box works properly in Tiger now; the complete list of improvements is below.

Link to AcidSearch 0.5 homepage

For those who do not know, AcidSearch enables one to add different search engines to Safari's search bar in a very easy way -- I find it even easier to customize than the Firefox searchplugins. :) It can also be used to bring a search bar to the bottom of the Safari window, similar to the one implemented in Moz browsers.

It is typically available in a number of language localizations, although they may not all be available yet.

Enjoy! :)

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nice catch...

Closing Safari to install... :)

Edit: Seems fine. Crashed Safari when I tried to use post on a random search, but other than that it feel ok. ;)

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehe. It seems okay to me so far, will have to see. Actually I really do like AcidSearch a lot. And I've been playing around with my usercontent.css file, because I don't like that other plug-in that we're not supposed to talk about, very much. :D It was interesting that most places said the usercontent.css file could not be used to selectively stop embedded flash in Safari, but actually, this is very possible. So I'm very happy to have learned it!

Learning how to manipulate the features of Safari to make it usable is like a fun game! :) I just might stick with this thing even after Deer Park is finalized. I definitely have gotten accustomed to having inline spell-checking. Although, it seems like DP and SpellBound will be able to do that fairly soon.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... small problem with 0.51: The "New Channel"-button isn't working... anyone else have this problem?

Of course I can make a new search channel by adding a new separator and give that an URL and rename it, but it is a bit of a hassle...

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems to work for me. Although it puts the new channel way down at the bottom, and then you have to scroll down and find it.

7. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Been using AcidSearch for a while and always liked it. Much easier then haxing safaris default search. Thanks for the notification it was updated.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is one of the many reasons why I love MacRumors! I never knew this even existed, but now that I know about it, I think I'll be making great use out of it. Thanks for the info mkrishnan! :cool:

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Was finally fed up with the, above mentioned, non functional New Channel button, so I first deleted the preference file and when that didn't work performed a full uninstall and reinstall. Now it works just fine.

BTW: There was another AcidSearch-thread about AcidSearch causing beach-balling thanks to some trouble with the automatic version checker, but that problem is now fixed (noticed because my total reinstall has enabled the checker, again). :)