AcidSearch causing beachballing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yoyodyne, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Yoyodyne macrumors member

I had AcidSearch installed for a few days and it made Safari a truly viable alternative to Firefox--until it gummed up. Every time I opened Safari it would start beachballing and stop no sooner than 45 seconds. I rebooted and that didn't help, so I uninstalled AcidSearch Safari and no longer gums up. Anyone else have similar problems with AcidSearch?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm using 0.51 with Safari 2.0 without any (major) problems. My only issue is that the "New Channel" button doesn't work anymore, but since I've found a way round that, and have all the channels I need for now, I don't really have anything to complaint about...

3. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I wasn't having any problems, and then I installed Flip4Mac today (which is very cool). I started getting freezes whenever I launched Safari. The freezes would last four or five seconds then go away. I also noticed problems playing videos at CNN.com. So I uninstalled AcidSearch and everything seems to be working OK again.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aah... I see what you mean now... mine was misbehaving a bit.

It's quite easy to fix, though, just uncheck the "Check For New Versions Automatically" in Advanced Options (see attachment).

There was a similar issue with Stuffit a while back, and it's probably caused by some sort of DNS trouble and/or a server that's down... :)

Attached Files:

5. Yoyodyne thread starter macrumors member

Schweet! I will reinstall AcidSearch and disable the autoupdate. I cannot do without the dropbar with multiple search engines. It's the largest factor, besides the web developer extension, keeping me on Firefox.

Well, and the flash blocker, tab preferences, nuke everything, and image zoom.
    :p I guess I need to stop wishing that Safari will become as flexible as Firefox.

6. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Thanks much, Mitthrawnuruodo :D