Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
My activity monitor is showing some application being running which I have no clue about....

mdimport
eapolclient
atsserver
pbs

What are they for?????

Also, my system memory says: 200MB Wired, 429MB active, 353MB Inactive and 43MB Free. Ihave a 1ghz MacBook....what do these numbers mean???

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mdimport is a Spotlight process...the "md" stands for "metadata."

eapolclient is related to wireless authentication.

atsserver is a font-management process.

pbs is the clipboard.

Here is Apple's article on how to read memory usage.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for the info but isnt Inactive Memory + Free still not very low...

I mean the real memory usage by applications is not that much but still I have only like 400MB as inactive or free????

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
acidity said:
Thanks for the info but isnt Inactive Memory + Free still not very low...

I mean the real memory usage by applications is not that much but still I have only like 400MB as inactive or free????

You've got nothing to worry about. Everything is working normally.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
acidity said:
My activity monitor is showing some application being running which I have no clue about....

mdimport
eapolclient
atsserver
pbs

What are they for?????

Also, my system memory says: 200MB Wired, 429MB active, 353MB Inactive and 43MB Free. Ihave a 1ghz MacBook....what do these numbers mean???
You know about 5 minutes searching online would have solved those questions. Just pasting the process name gets some really good explanations as to what they are.

tcsdoc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
Eidorian said:
You know about 5 minutes searching online would have solved those questions. Just pasting the process name gets some really good explanations as to what they are.

I was thinking the same thing. When I see weird programs running on my Windows machine, Google is the first place I look. I've learned a great deal ab out both my Mac's and Windows operation from all the websites giving super detailed info.

Not slamming the guy, just making a helpful observation. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.