Ack! Trackpad mostly dead!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Dec 31, 2002.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Help! My iBook's (500MHz, the one that was having monitor problems a few days ago) trackpad suddenly isn't working! The same thing for the mouse button. The interesting thing though, is that my attached Pro Mouse does work, and every 20 seconds or so, the trackpad works for about 2-3 seconds. During that time, the mouse button also works. I've tried restarting the computer, and since the Pro Mouse works, I doubt this is a software problem. The keyboard works fine. ANY help or suggestions of what might be wrong would be very greatly appreciated.

2. vniow macrumors G4

You might want to disconnect the trackpad cable and reconnect it.

It's right under where you would put the RAM.

Edit: wait, is this a clamshell?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't *think* they made 500Mhz clamshells.

4. vniow macrumors G4

Nope they didn't. Just checked.

For some reason I thought GeeYouEye had a clamshell.[​IMG]

Anyhoo, it should be a similar procedure to disconnect and reconnect the trackpad cables I think, though I may be wrong.......

5. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Ok I got it to work, but I don't know what I did. I tried to try and do the trackpad cable, but I couldn't find my tiny screwdriver. And, predictably enough, when I turned it on, it still didn't work. I then put it to sleep, and had to go out to dinner. When I got back, it was working. The only reason I can possibly think is because I went to Yosemite for a couple of days. I took it with me, but didn't use it at all, so the only thing I can figure is that it physically froze over at one point and it needed to thaw. Weird in any case...

EDIT: Oh and I do have a clamshell iBook. This just isn't it.