Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naserke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2010
I am having a problem with Macbook when connected to external hard drive. Finder stops responding and I have to force quit. message it gives is error 10810. I could not move files to and from external hard drive. This is a big problem as my internal hard drive is full.

I have bought a new hard drive and created an image of my internal hard drive on new one, so I can install a new one. I used restore function in disk utility to create an image. I tried "verify permissions" on new new hard drive (I haven't installed it yet), and it is giving me hundreds of lines of error. Mostly they starts with " ACL missing on "system/......" There are also few messages like "permissions differ from ......".

One message is "Warning: SUID file System/library/coreservices/remotemanagement/ARDAgent.app/contents/MacOS/ARDAgents has been modified and will not be repaired".

I have tried "permissions repair" and looks like it repaired all the "ACL missing on.." and some "Permissions differ from....". But "Warning:SUID file....." error was't fixed.

I reran "verify permissions" now and and it still shows two "permissions differ from....." errors and one "warning:SUID...." error.

permissions error is "permissions differ on system/library/frameworks/javaVM.frameworks/versions/1.6.0/resources/javaplugincocoa.bundle/content/resurces/javadeploy.jar" should be -rw-r--r--, they are lrw-r--r--.

second persmissions error is similar with ending like "..........java/librarydeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x, they are lrwxr-xr-x.

what these errors mean and any suggestions to correct them?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
That is a common issue which typically involves connecting to SMB shares. Are you connecting to any SMB shares?

naserke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2010
I have seagate external drive connected with firewire. I don't know what SMB is. I am just hooking it directly. It used to work but not from last few weeks.

OJAck

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
What was the fix? Can I back up this disc as a disc image without destroying -- erasing -- other content on that backup disc? Can I just store the disc image in a folder on a 6 TB RAID and leave the surrounding data on the drive safe?

Thanks for your much needed help. I'm about to panic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.