ACLU Files Law Suit for High School Girl

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Those people (at the school) need to lighten up. If you get in trouble for wearing a DARE shirt of all things, your school has issues. I always thought that type of thing went unenforced... at least it does at my school.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

god damn.... :eek:

I never did understand the "don't wear gang colors" thing that some schools.....when I'm getting dressed in the morning, how in the hell am I supposed to know if whatever shirt I'm putting on happens to be the same color a gang uses. I don't keep track of what gang wears what. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and this school's taken that to an extreme.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Some schools dress code is stricter than others.

FJ

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I had to wear a coat & tie to school and it didn't bother me one bit. It's school, not a fashion show. Tell the girl to put on some white socks and get over it.

I'm assuming this is a public school.

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yeah, thats a real positive message to be sending those kids. :rolleyes:

Idiot school officials on their idiotic power trips :mad:

A similar incident (Idiot officials, dress code related) is what caused me to home school after the 7th grade.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For those who don't like the ACLU, this is why we need them. Meanwhile, there are kids out there actually doing bad things that deserve punishment. Where are all those people complaining about a "nanny state" when you need them? :rolleyes:

You don't think the punishment is a little excessive?

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Last I stepped foot in a high school, people cared less about how others dressed and more about who others were dating and what the answer to problem #4 on the physics homework was. And nobody really cared unless you were wearing something outlandish like a 3 foot tall hat with feathers or skimpy like a shirt and only undies.

Being sent home or put in detention for wearing pink socks is an honest waste of time, as is shopping and finding school-appropriate attire. Even in my rather conservative collection of clothes, you'd probably be spending upwards of an hour trying to find a set of clothes that are permitted. My laptop bag is black, has a logo on it, and the occasional politically-charged pin or two. And I would hardly imagine my usual favorite of a nicely ironed half buttoned blouse with a cami and jeans could disrupt a classroom.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

For a first offense, sure. But after a year and a half and at least 12 violations and she still can't learn to follow the rules? No, I don't. You'd think a so-called honors student would eventually cotton on.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just more examples of freedom & liberty killed off by beauracrats, Next they will be wanting her Urine because of what someone else has done. Beauracrats at the local,state and federal level love to have control. It doesnt matter if we are talking freedom of speech, the drug war,religious belief or simply taxes they all want to tell others how to live. Its a theme.

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Man am I glad I'm not in highschool anymore. Heck back in the day I used to change my hair colour (green, blue, pink, red, etc) every couple weeks and never had a problem.

From what I hear now students in my old high school can't even bring back packs to school anymore because of "security concerns"

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

I've heard of schools requiring see-through backpacks...ugh how I'd hate to go to such a school...don't want to know what happens when everyone spots a laptop in the bag.

People even stole calculators from backpacks..

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Kind of ridiculous to say "You cant learn today because you wore the wrong clothes"

All day detention for dress code violations is STUPID!

Dress codes should be followed, its the rules, but to basically deny a child education on a daily basis for it, is plain moronic.

PS: High School gangs are a fictional idea from TV and movies...its a rare occurrence...sort of. what kind of gang changes leaders and members every four years!?

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Another strong argument for school uniforms. It amazes me when people violate a written rule and then they're shocked when they're called on it.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

terrorist.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll stand up and be counted. This is the nanny state totally out of control. Seriously, a pair of Tigger socks? WTF is wrong with people?

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You let them take an inch and then they'll want a mile. One day it's Tigger, the next day it's Spongebob, and then in a week or so they're sporting socks with South Park characters on them. It's just the slippery slope down the road of cartoon character chaos.

18. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

This is absolutely ridiculous. They say that they are trying to promote a good learning environment, make the children focus on learning instead of what they wear. All of the trouble that has stemmed from this is far more disruptive than letting everyone wear what they want.

I can understand the rule against wearing gang-related colors, they could help stop a lot of potential problems.

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

that was pretty funny.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

21. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It was light blue Tigger socks with a brown top with pink trim. The blue and orange on the Tigger socks alone, no problem...but wearing them with brown and pink. She's just lucky she wasn't arrested by the fashion police!

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They have a dress code. BFD. Deal with it.
    It might prepare you for your suit/tie dress code at work later on in life. ;)

23. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

My school is much more strict than that with dress code... but I go to a private school. But it's not a big deal if the girls wear for example a pink ribbon for cancer awareness...

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So school dress codes are inherently unconstitutional? I don't know where the ACLU is headed with this, if not there.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

In a free society there shouldnt be a frickin rule on clothes! I guess we will need another vietnam to wake up this generation, wait a minute our idiotic republican president is doing just that. What the hell are our troops fighting for in Iraq if you cant even wear what you want to school. Sounds like Communism to me. Fascists.