Acne

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Aug 20, 2006.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

Most people acquire it at some point in their life. I'm 15 now, and have slightly moderate acne. It's not too noticeable; the pimples are small. I've tried most over-the-counter products, I've been prescribed gels and lotions, and I've even been put on a pill called "minocycline." They all helped, but not enough. I'm going to my dermatologist in October and he said he'll probably be giving me Accutane.

Anyway, that's my story.

What's everyone's stories involving acne? How did it effect you socially? What were you prescribed? Do you still have it?

Thank,
    irain

2. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

im lucky enough to not have acne on my face, just on my upper arms and back, which is no big deal.

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i was on minocyclin for a couple of years. it [the acne] cleared up, but it may have just been a time thing, and nothing to do with the drug.

be very careful about taking things like accutane, they are very powerful and can be bad.

honestly, the best thing to do is eat well, NO junk food, drink lots of water, and check ingredients on packaging, stay away from processed stuff, especially things that contain high fructose corn syrup (and that's a heck of a lot these days, even crap like ketchup, stick with the organics).

above all, don't let it get you down.

4. nsutt22 macrumors regular

nsutt22

Accutane.. works like a charm but u need to really need it.

5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Differin with doxycycline (or minocycline - they do the same thing).

Helps a lot, not too many side effects. Just make sure to have food in your stomch when you take the pill, or else you're going to have nausea.

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Anyone ever tried peals? They seem to help a lot of people... Not acne in particular, but skin care and the look of the skin.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I never really had it bad, and it never bothered me enough to care much. Unless it's really bad, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just part of growing up, and it'll pass.

8. timerollson macrumors 65816

If you have unsatisfactory eating habits, over the counter medicines and prescriptions aren't going to do anything.

I used to have acne when I was in high school, nothing bad, but I would have a new pimple every week or so. I changed my eating habits, stopped drinking soda entirely, cut out all that unnecessary junk food that seems to plague everyone and replaced it with water and food that was beneficial to my body. Combine that with a daily routine of cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing, and my face rarely gets pimples.

9. beckfizzle macrumors member

The best over the counter meds you are going to find contain Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid. Benzoyl tends to be a bit harsher but it gets the job done while Saliclyic Acid is a bit milder. Oxy and Stridex pads are going to contain Saliclyic acid and lotion type medications will have Benzoyl Peroxide.

10. Miguey macrumors 6502

im 15 and getting acne but im using soap on my face and it keeps it down...doesnt seem to increase in pimples...

/looks at face twice

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I'm 13, had it for nearly 2 years, and it's calmed down slightly. I have it mostly on my upper arms and back, and I find it a bit embarassing when I go swimming, etc. :( What's really odd is that no one at school has it so I feel like a nerd (Which I really am).

12. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Don't worry, many of them will likely get it soon too. Some people just get it later. My brother just started getting acne and he's almost 14. Acne's nothing embarassing, since getting it doesn't mean that you have poor hygeine or anything - it's just luck of the draw in genes. :)

13. sobolobo macrumors member

I agree. It does all sorts of nasty **** to your body like dries up your hair, your lips (need to apply lip balm like a bazillion times a day), and if you're a girl you have to take it with the pill and the pill sometimes make you gain weight.

Only take the accutane stuff as a last resort.

14. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I've used Accutane and it helped a lot. The only thing is that during the 5 months that you are on it it might actually make things seem worse (since it is pretty much drying up your skin everywhere).

I'm sure your dermatologist has done the rundown of how it works and the risks involved.

15. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

16. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Ok i had acne, but my acne was stubborn as hell. I tried just like you Minocyclin and over the counter products, but nothing helped, I must have used Minocycline for almost 3 years..not really healthy..and dont drink with it either. My self esteem went way down...not fun. Then my derm put me on Accutane, it really did help but not without its side-effects. Your skin dries out..badly. My bones ached, i was very sensitive to the sun..even now(2 years later). Accutane is powerful stuff, but like other members have said it will first get worse, but after that only better.
    Oh and drink lotsa water. I wish you luck.

17. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

"When starting to take the Pill some women report slight weight gain, although most studies show that the incidences of this is about 50% and as many women experience slight weight loss." - It's from Wikipedia, but it seems logical enough? Doesn't sound like a big deal?

Anyways, I'm 13 and have very little acne, so... I don't really have to worry about medication or anything @ this point....

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I had an enormous and excruciatingly painful zit right on the end of my nose a coupla days ago. I didn't leave the house...too embarassing.

I would've expected this kind of thing except for the fact that I'm @#$%ing 38 years old...you'd think I'd be done with it already...

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I am surpirsed that a doctor would give a growing teen Accutane...

Isnt it suppossed to mess with bone growth? So would it not stunt the height growth as well?

Oh I just googled it and it says the FDA is studying the matter right now...

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I got a pimple inside my nose right now. It hurts... I've had one in my ear before too.

Every once in a while (when under some stress) I usually get a big one on my chin or sumthin'. It sucks but it's life. I use this gel stuff (Neutrogena Rapid Clear), works ok, nothin' miraculous. I also use those pads once in a while.

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

ProActive works wonders. I highly recommend it. :)

23. vniow macrumors G4

Estrogen.

Cleared it right up.

24. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Take a Multi-Vitamin every day, that should help clear up your complexion (at least it did for me, when little else helped). Not to mention the benefits the rest of your body will enjoy.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This just popped up on my screen while I was looking this thread over: