Acobat Reader 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rickkman, Sep 23, 2005.

1. rickkman macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2005
    Is it possible to install and run Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 on Mac OS X 1.4.2? I download and supposedly installed it twice but I can't find it anywhere on my iBook. I was hoping to use it to open pdf files rather than the application Preview but I am not sure if it is possible. Is there something that I am doing wrong?
  2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    It looks like you need Jaguar at least. Sorry.
  3. rickkman thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2005
    Can I assume that the Acrobat Reader 7 is not compatible with Tiger yet?
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i think he was confused by your saying "1.4.2" as the version is called "10.4.2." :) i see no reason why it wouldn't work. any particular reason you want to use it over preview?
  5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I use Preview as my default but have on occasion come across pdf's that have not opened properly in Preview - blank pages...for those I use Adode Reader 7, which actually I find to be much better than v6.x was....oh yeah!
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Adobe Reader 7 works fine with Tiger. I have it running on the one Mac at work that does have Tiger on it.

It's biggest advantage over v6 is that you can now edit PDFs in a limited fashion if the creator of the PDF enables this ability when the PDF is created. However, you need Acrobat Pro 7 (or possibly Standard) to make this happen...

Downloading this file (AdbeRdr70_DLM_enu_full-1.dmg) puts a disk image with another pkg (DownloadReader7.pkg) which runs the 'Adobe Reader Download Manager Installer' which then goes through a typical installation process, downloading the real file as it does so.

I'm not sure what the point of this convoluted method is but the real file you're looking for is: AdbeRdr70_enu_full.dmg

There are also 3 updates for it: 7.01, 7.02, & 7.03 which must be installed in succession. i.e. you must have .01 & .02 installed before .03

Confused? I am. The entire process is not exactly user-friendly.