Acquired a PowerMac G5 tower

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMikeT, Aug 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

I was helping my uncle move yesterday and acquired his old PowerMac G5 tower that he was planning on throwing away. Aside from dirt, a few scratches, and the broken SuperDrive door, it seems to be in good shape, both inside and out.

Here's the deal. He said that it ceased to function and I have no idea what the extent is on that. I didn't get the power cable with it so I won't be able to power it up to see what's going on with it.

My goal is to get this baby functioning again in some manner. Either by replacing parts or completely gutting everything and installing standard PC hardware to making a gaming rig or something, I mean, the chassis is still in good shape and I'd hate to see a beautifully designed machine end up in the dump.

From what I can tell, this is a 2004 or 2005 model. I don't have the precise specs.

I'm open to suggestions and help with this highly ambitious project. Thanks guys!

2. macrumors 68000

Nameci

Mind posting the picture of the back side and i can tell you right away if it is a late 2005 or an earlier powermac.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Here are pics of the G5 tower.

Attached Files:

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

More pics.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 68000

Nameci

That is most probably and early 2005 dual processor powermac G5.

6. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks.

Actually, when I opened up the tower and removed the plastic shield and fan, I noticed that the logic board had "Apple Computer Inc ©2004" stamped on it. For all we know, it might have been manufactured in 2004 and shipped in 2005... Either way, I won't be finding out more about his machine until I can get it to boot.

So far it looks like I'll need a power cable and hard drive to get started. Then I'll need a copy of the os to boot from, luckily, I have a copy of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. :D

Even with that, my big fear is that the power supply could be dead or the G5's liquid cooling apparatus might have leaked. The power supply, not so much an issue but the liquid cooling unit, that's a different story. :eek:

8. macrumors P6

Intell

That G5 is air cooled. No cooling fluid to leak. They use standard C14 power cables. You may have a box full of them somewhere left over from old computers. It also appears to be missing its hard drive. When installing a new one, you'll have to use the four black screws in the gray plastic bulkhead to the left of the hard drive bay to slid the new drive in. They use standard SATA I drives. You may want to stay away from SATA III drives, PowerMac G5's tend to not like those very much. It also looks like it has an Airport card, but no antenna. That could be a slight problem.

9. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

If you need parts to fix the super drive door let me know. If I can figure out how to get it out of my case I'll give you the parts you need for it. I just use my case as a chair, so I won't miss them. If you're in the us I'll give it to you with free shipping. Let me know if you need it

10. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The wisdom of the internet agrees with you but I don't have any issues with SATA III drives either SSD nor platter nor do I do change the pin jumpers.

Attached Files:

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

That's some useful info to know. Then again, I was always under the impression that PowerMac G5s were all liquid cooled. I remember seeing the tubes in pretty much every photo I've seen when the "G5" cover was removed. I'm guessing that these were later models.

As far as the hard drive goes.... I noticed that the drive(s) were missing after I initially opened it. It shouldn't be a problem finding a replacement drive for it. I think I have a SATA II drive laying around somewhere.

As for the AirPort antenna, it shouldn't be a problem for me. I typically use Ethernet for immobile computers. There is one thing I am a little perplexed about with this particular machine. I noticed that there are two Ethernet ports, one built into the logic board and the other as a PCI card. What's the deal with that?

Wow, thanks, that's very generous of you! Although, that may be well into the future as I have other things to keep me busy at the moment. I see this as a pet project that "I'll get to eventually...." Just like building my Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein replica that I started over two years ago.

I must say, that is one well designed chair that you have. I can actually see these towers being used as piano chairs. :)

12. macrumors P6

Intell

The PCI Ethernet card was installed by the previous owner. It did not come from Apple like that and is not needed, unless the built in Ethernet doesn't work.

13. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I use mine for drums, I'm not coordinated, so piano just does work for me!

Anyway, just let me know whenever you need it. I don't see it disappearing anytime soon!

14. macrumors member

I've got 4GB ram for it.. my G5 died on me a few weeks ago actually (the LCS system leaked, ruined the power supply).

I've got 8x512MB for cheap..! PM me

15. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Hey jezzy, do you have BT or wireless modules and antennas available?

16. macrumors member

nah no modules in either of my g5's, but do have the antennas.

17. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

what would you sell the antennas for?

18. macrumors P6

Intell

Pick up some iMac 2007/2008 Bluetooth boards on eBay. They're Bluetooth 2.X and they're compatible with every PowerMac G5 except for the late 2005 ones.

19. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

yeah, but I still need the antenna.

20. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure thats a air cooled one, it looks exactly like my liquid cooled one. Without seeing under the g5 cover it's hard to tell. oh and if your looking for it's specs there printed on the lable on the inside of the door (at the bottom of the case)

21. macrumors P6

Intell

It lacks the pumps, radiator, pipes, and has two air cool type fans in place.

22. macrumors 6502a

you can't see any on them in those pictures, they would be behind the g5 cover. and the fans on it are exactly the same as the ones on my liquid cooled g5

23. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Its air. It is a spitting image of my old g5.

24. macrumors member

Maybe im mistaken, i thought the antennas were internal? I just took appart the g5 last night and ive got the harness thats inside the g5 which runs to the backplate and gives you the bt and wifi plugs.. No ext antennas :(

25. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

if you look at the image of the OPs G5 you can see the connectors for the BT and wireless above the optical plug.

Attached Files: