Acquisition question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dogbone, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'm just trying to understand how Acquisition works. I'm downloading a big file and it says "4 active, 1 queued, 10 busy, (of 16)" what egzacategly does this mean? It is also being uploaded at the same time. Also I don't understand why I'm downloading at 30kbps but someone is uploading the same file from me at 1kbps, why aren't they downloading from the same source?

Also what does it mean when a file that is being uploaded stops uploading and is partly green. I know it can resume loading but if I click the 'clear' button (with the broom) does that mean the person who is uploading the file has to begin again or can their computer reconnect and pick up the upload. The reason I ask is because there is also a 'remove' button. So I thought the clear button would be different.

2. nutman macrumors regular

we should have a collection of best spelling mistakes.

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

You can probably guess I recently downloaded Alice in Wonderland.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I believe it means Acquisition has found 16 source candidates for your file. You are currently downloading it from 4 of those sources. One of those sources has you queued (which means, you are waiting in line for your turn to start downloading). 10 of those sources are not allowing you to download currently, but may in the future (no guarantee). One source (unlisted but determined by arithmetic) hasn't responded, or has timed out.

The default Acquisition setting is to share your files. You can turn that off, but of course that defeats the purpose of Acquisition if everybody turns it off.

You will have better luck if you set Acquisition to connect to 5 network query nodes, instead of the default 3. All of this can be done in Acquisition's preferences.

5. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@dpaanlka

So Acquisition is sort of like a torrent where it collects bits of a file and puts it together? Is this right.

So in the image I've posted, you can see some of the files have stopped (they are in the 'completed' pane) even though they are only partially finished. Does this mean I can delete them without disturbing anything. Does it mean that someone was downloading and then changed their mind and stopped maybe because it was too slow?

Attached Files:

• _01.jpg
      _01.jpg
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't know what a torrent is... but if that's the definition then yes, I believe so.

I don't know about the upload thing. Just go ahead and clear it... it can't harm you in any way :rolleyes:

7. aholden12592 macrumors regular

something is uploading - hmm you my friend are asking for a virus. even on a mac

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

...what??

9. nimboopaani macrumors newbie

I think if there is a tick on a transfer that looks like its partially complete, it means that you've done your bit. The remaining bit of the file was probably downloaded from other active sources.

You can with a clear conscience CLEAR the uploaded files. I dont think it would disturb anything.

10. aholden12592 macrumors regular

well uploading means something is being taken from your computer so someone is getting onto your computer.

11. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

whatever files you have in your aquisition folder can be uploaded...thats what they see when you allow people access. All other folders are secure.

12. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

ive never heard so much rubbish in all my life...

what virus is that then eh?:rolleyes: