Acquisition registration problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harveypooka, May 14, 2005.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

My code for the shareware, p2p app called Acquisition has recently stopped working. After repeated attempts at contacting the developer, David Watanabe, I've received no reply of any kind.

Paypal say they can't help as I've not actually bought a product, merely a code. Fair enough I suppose.

I'd recommend people not to register Acquisition if this is normal practice for David Watanabe. I'm quite passionate about supporting shareware and I've had a trouble free history with a variety of programs, apart from this one!

Hopefully I'll get a response in the future, it's been nearly two weeks since I sent my first email.

Anybody else had similar problems?

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

why did you buy it?
    ACQlite and Tiger-compatible Poisoned are both free and do the same job!

3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

I've tried most p2p app's, Poisoned, mlMac, Acq etc and at the time, Acq. worked the best. It boosted lovely integration with iTunes and seemed the most stable...I'm thinking otherwise now!

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

fair enough.
    I find ACQlite and Poisoned (the most recent versions) work well with iTunes although you shouldn't be downloading music illegally.
    If you'd rather download the songs you own than import them, both these programs can copy the song to itunes, create a playlist of any name, put the song in that playlist and delete the original song (if you should so wish). And can do other things.
    Hope you like the newer versions better!

5. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

After a brief email from the developer he asked me why I'd activated my code an "extreme" amount; I said perhaps there was a problem with registration? I tried disabling the firewall, and it worked. I'm unsure of whether he did something to enable my code or the firewall was causing the problem. It took an insane amount of time to sort, but it's sorted, so I'm happy!

6. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end. Acquisition is my favorite P2P too, and I've had no problems whatsoever with registration. The few times I've wiped the HD clean I just re-registered and updates appear to register themselves. The "extreme amount" of activations on your code sounds very strange... Unless you've put it in your shared folder :confused: :D

-Squirrel