Acquisition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mbopy22, Jan 9, 2006.

1. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hi I've downloade Acquisition app. I have installed but not yet bought the registration.:rolleyes:

I've been using it with the sample search and it works neat and is very good.:p

I was wondering if there is a better peer to peer (shareware) app out there that I should get instead of Acq.? or do you guys/girls recommend just to stick with Acq????

Thanks... !! :p

2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

No! Nothing beats it at all. Acquisition is the best Mac P2P application out there. Buy a serial, I did!

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is good at what it does :eek:

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I would recommend LimeWire or Acqlite - they both do the job for me (minus the registration fee) :eek:

5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Another vote for Acquisition. Great app. ,I bought the Lifetime registration as well.

6. Lord Kythe macrumors member

Yep, Acquisition is the best. I bought a registration too.

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Why buy a registration on Acquisition?

AFAICT, there's no bonus to it, other than removing the nags. There's something about buying an app that most people use to steal just doesn't seem right.

8. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Karma?

Like the man says, support people no corporations. Honestly, even though I love the program I havn't really used it much lately. I still get a lot of bogus files reporting exactly what I type in - even though the latest versions are supposed to fix that.

Its not Acqusitions fault, but it does bring the experience down a peg.

Still, for the price? Totally worth it.

9. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

So is it more right then to use the app without licence to steal other content?

The app. is Shareware that means you try it for free and if you like it get a licence for it. The Programmer is nice enough to put an unlimited time on the trial.

10. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Does anybody use "Poisoned"? Even though it hasn't been updated for almost a year, it seems to do the job. "XFactor", I hear is pretty good but I've heard that it's the same code used in "Poisoned". The original developer left and started "XFactor" using "Poisoned's" code. Who, knows.....hey as long as it does the job. Any thoughts?

Oh.. use to LOVE "DC" but hubs are hard to come by via the Mac. Seems like you can't search for Hubs anymore.

~e

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

The app. would more correctly be described as nagware. Shareware tends to have a limit to what you can do or how long you can have the program installed.

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Acqulite is better, and free. Don't support Dave Watanabe. He's a nazi who's time and time again proven his arrogance by not responding to people who lost reg codes, deleting forum posts that raise questions of his ethics and his ability to: use publically available code (GNU) and charges for it.

13. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I've seen many a post on different forums with replies to emails by him, that were downright rude and condescending. I wouldn't give the man a penny! Use acqlite or Xfactor which both work equally well in my opinion.

14. dkozi macrumors newbie

my two cents

a friend turned me on to this app a couple of years back, and needless to say i've never paid the fee. yeah the windows are a pain at times, but as spook the hampster said, it still has full functionality without registering.
    i've tried limewire and wasn't impressed.
    acquisition just works! and it's integration with itunes makes it a no brainer.
    and for the pirates out there(and lets be honest folks, we're all guilty of it from now and again), the latest version supports torrent downloads.
    the bottom line - just try it and decide for yourself. i think you'll like it.
    and as for acqlite, i read an interesting thread about a huge spamming issue with the latest offering (0.2.8), and recommendations to delete and revert back to a version pre 0.2.7.
    ok, maybe that was worth a whole nickel!

15. dylan macrumors 6502

I just bought the "single user" licence. Can i use this on other user accounts on the same computer? I can't seem to find any answers on the web page... and I'm scared to try it...

16. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

17. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Acqlite for me.
    Acquisition minus the nagging

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

So far acquisition is the only universal P2P app right?

19. dylan macrumors 6502

Looks that way...

Has anyone successfully used the single user licence on multiple user accounts??!?!

20. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

the original question was: is there a better p2p software out there.

out of curiosity, how do you guys rate these software?

21. Butters macrumors 6502

Poisned: 1/5 Wouldn't recommend it
    Acquisition: 4/5 Loses a point for the nags ..or the fact that it costs (depending on whether or not you're cheap like me)
    Acqlite: 4.5/5 Very nice, basically Acquisition minus the registration
    Xfactor: 3/5 Trys to imitate the iTunes interface which is good but doesn't do it very well and lacks in some features
    Limewire: 3/5 Slow, Big and Ugly but has a more specific search

22. dr_lha macrumors 68000

There is nothing wrong with using GPL'd code and charging for it. Its just that you generally can't combined GPL'd code with your own without releasing your source code under the license (GPL), which it appears that Aquisition does:

http://acquisitionx.org/

23. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I bought a serial back in 2003 when the app was at .7 and it still works only paid $5 for it.

24. dylan macrumors 6502

No one has answered my question yet :(

Can is the single user license single computer or single user account? Would it be safe to use it on two accounts?

25. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

You can't it send home when you use it