Acrobat Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveBeat, Mar 10, 2005.

1. SteveBeat macrumors member

Sep 24, 2003
    There's this jerk kid I work with and he has been bothering about his Acrobat Pro supposedly "not working" on his new G5. He is blaming the app, but I definitely think it's him who doesn't know what is going on. If anyone has anything I can tell this kid to get him off my back, that would be great. Here is the email he sent me:

"I hate to be a pain in the ass, but I'm having an acrobat problem that is slowing me down enough to warrant investigation.

In the past, I could simply drag an illustrator eps file onto distiller and walk away with a PDf. For some reason after dropping the eps file onto distiller, or even opening the eps through the applicatoin, distiller acts like is making the pdf and then gives me nothing. I'm not sure if a reinstall is needed or what, but whatever you can do to help would be great.

Thanks man

Doing a reinstall is fine, but I'm not going over and dealing with the kid until I have an inkling of what's wrong because he sucks so bad. Any thoughts?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Distiller 6 on Panther is a little flaky.

The main problems with our installation seem to be font-related... occasionally, it can't find the fonts and flushes the job. Quitting the app and restarting it fixes it...

Perhaps if your friend converts fonts to outlines, that may help.

But if it was me, I'd print a Postscript file from Illustrator straight to a Distiller watched folder -- depends on what version of Illustrator he is using. CS will let you export PDFs straight from the app anyway...
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    There are some EPS files that can't be distilled by Adobe Distiller. Some such files have PostScript errors. My suggestion is to open your EPS in Preview if Distiller can't handle it. Preview will automatically convert it to PDF, which can be saved if you want. If neither Distiller nor Preview can handle the file, then it is corrupt in some fashion. Be warned that Preview distilled PDFs tend not to be nearly as nice as Distiller distilled PDFs.