Act of Anonymous Kindness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wardofsky, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Despite being a mouthfull, doing a random act of anonymous kindness felt really nice once you have acted it out.

While walking home after school (which was incredibly boring) I passed a row of cars which was governed by electronic parking meters, then I noticed that at the very end of the row of cars was a parking officer checking the car times.

I had been looking at the timers, 20 minutes on one, an hour on some others, then I saw one that had only 1 minute left.
    By now you know what I did.
    It was an old car with a few books in the back, having bought lunch that day I had a pocketful of spare change and decided to pop in 30c give that person an extra 1/2 hour so that s/he wouldn't get a ticket.
    I continued on down the street and saw the parking officer pass the little car and eventually leave.

Made me feel good, don't know why.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you know that is illegal, right?

I don't really care, but personally, if someone didn't put enough money in their meter then that is their own problem.

Anonymous kindness, IMO, would be something more like.... hmmmmm.... sliding $100 under the door of someone I knew who wasn't too well off, despite hard work, etc.

scem0

3. Mantat macrumors 6502a

ehh.. illegal? I dont think so, at least not here (montréal, québec, canada) or I have never heard of it. I have seen some homeless people who do that to get some money. You give them some change and they will fill the meter as needed. When you come back, you tip the guy and everyone is happy. This is very usefull downtown where the meters are 1:30h max and you want to see a 2h movie...

And btw, anonymous act of kindness is just to do something nice and not expect any rewards. Be the action legal or not doesnt matter.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

how is that illegal? how is helping someone illegal? you can put your g****mn money wherever the heck you want, "IMO." and it was easily a kind thing to do. they would have gotten a ticket that probably would have cost well over $20. you don't have to give someone random money because they're lower class. that's just plain condescending. i don't understand why you're belittling wardofsky for this.

5. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

dear god, what freaking idiot(s) got such an asinine law passed? i don't care if it's illegal, though, it's a kind thing to do. any policeman who would arrest you for doing that is probably a selfish, hulking jerk (off). this country, i swear...

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a sad story. We actually had the same thing happen here in Boston. Not really sure what the outcome of the case was. Your kind act was great Wardofsky.

The moral of the story is to due as Paul instructed, your kindness should be done in secret.

I can have empathy with your position shadowfax. My thoughts on the subject are not for this particular thread.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm I smell an Onion article...

RANDOM KINDNESS OUTLAWED

In a fit of pique, the Senate today outlawed both random kindness, and senseless acts of beauty by an overwhelming 73-27 vote. The move was widely seen as a response to a dramatic rise in both activities, particularly among teenagers.

"We certainly can't have our youth corrupted in this manner." stated Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kansas) shortly before he cast his vote. "I mean, my god, what will happen to them when they get to the real world? They'll just get taken advantage of. We must stop this madness in it's tracks"

etc, etc...

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Goodness, you are quite the bitter young person. Why do you take this "screw them, it's their own fault" attitude? Why is it so hard to put a dime in a meter, illegal or not?

Plugging meters is illegal almost everywhere now, and yes, it;s a stupid law, but it's there to prevent people from monopolizing a scpace all day that is intended for quick trips. Especially in cities where parking is scarce anyway. Like I said, I think it's a stupid law too.

Congrats on the random kindness!

Regards,
    Gus

10. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

its definitely illegal in the states. feeding the meter pretty much defeats the purpose of limited time parking. still, i have done it for someone before, because i hate the parking nazis on campus so much.

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Stuffing parking meters may be illegal in the States, but has anyone bothered to check whether or not it's illegal in Australia? I would check, but I'm lazy and have no faith in my Googling skills.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I will anonymously drop off the bail money for you, Wardofsky, when they lock you up for your criminal kindness infraction.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

haha, good point. i hope they're smarter than the bureaucrats that run this place... i have no faith in my googling skills either, though. here goes.... no luck.

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah thats absurd...

There is also this thing in my town with the newest meters that have a button you press and it gives you 5 minutes free, a whole 5 minutes!

Isn't my town kind?

;)

I've done that to someone once... a traffic person was comming around the corner and the person didn't put money in the meter she had like 5 kids hagging off of her... I felt bad...

I guess I know why the cop was yelling at me... :rolleyes:

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A lot of people practiced kindness today at my polling place. A senior citizen slipped, fell, and hit her head on the wall in the very crowded voting room (a room that is normally used as a one-person office), with dozens of other voters already waiting in line. People helped the poor woman, called 911, made way for the paramedics, and waited patiently for the commotion to end so they could cast their votes in California's recall election.