Activate iPhone 4 - deactivates old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vkramer, Jun 22, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

When you activate the new iPhone 4 does it instantly deactivate your old iPhone?

Is the old phone usable afterwards, as in so I can wipe it and restore before i put it up on eBay?

2. macrumors demi-god

markyr17

Your old iPhone is still usable. You paid for it, and it is your phone to do what you'd like with it.

3. macrumors 6502

You won't be able to make calls with it, but it will operate in a WiFi hotspot as an iPod Touch.

- Steve

4. macrumors 6502a

*as long as it's with AT&T

you can do anything you want with it, use it on another line or use it as an ipod touch - and sell it as such if you like.

5. macrumors newbie

The SIM Card in your old phone will be deactivated. You can "unlock" your old phone and use it with any activated SIM card. I plan on taking mine with me to Thailand in July, get it unlocked, and use it with a local Thai SIM card.

6. macrumors newbie

Is there any way to reactivate that SIM card from the old phone for use on a different line? Or do you have to get a brand new SIM card if you want to use the old iPhone on a different line?

7. macrumors regular

Going to be giving my 3G to my girlfriend so she can use it for showing her film off (kinda like a portfolio). What exactly do I need to do to make sure it is still usable (without jailbreaking it) for wifi.

Does activating my new phone automatically do this? Will I still be able to connect the old phone to my computer for adding files without any problems?

8. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

New. A dead SIM is dead forever.

9. macrumors 6502a

This seems funny on a few levels. It is weird that I instantly thought of a Sim from the game The Sims as being dead forever...which is true also!

10. macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

How would I go from iPhone 4 SIM back to iPhone 3G SIM? Do I have to call ATT? Can I go to one of their stores?