Active Directory

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by MonsterRain, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Jul 13, 2008
    Just wondering...I've been thinking of using my Macbook Pro for my business, which allows you to use your own device on their corporate network. I need to be able to see/edit Active Directory. Is this possible on a Mac? If so, how?

I'd rather not use a VM for Windows, if at all possible.

For what it's worth, I'm using the standard Mountain Lion, though I could upgrade to Server edition if that's necessary.

2. macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

May 13, 2013
    There is an application in /System/Library/Core Services called Directory Utility. Directory Utility allows you to bind your Mac to Active & Open Directories. Once bound to a directory you can view and edit entries in that directory. I've never used AD too much outside of my current job (Mac Admin in a 300+ PC, 140+ Mac environment) so I can't speak to whether or not it's a great tool for creating/editing/deleting entries in AD but I did just confirm that it can do all three of those tasks with our 2007 server.

Typically when I need to access AD I will use our Citrix client, simply because I can pull the same session up on my iPad when I'm running around the office.