Activision, id Set Summer Launch For Doom 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Veldek, May 11, 2004.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=9571

Activision, Inc. confirmed today that id Software's highly anticipated DOOM 3(TM), will be released this summer for the PC. The latest installment in one of the most successful franchises in gaming history, DOOM 3 utilizes id's revolutionary new 3D graphics engine to draw players into the most frightening and gripping gaming experience ever created. "DOOM 3 is the most anticipated PC game of the year and fans around the world are eagerly awaiting its release," Ron Doonink, CEO, Activision Publishing. "Id is delivering the most compelling horror gaming experience to date, so get ready for DOOM." "This summer we're sending game fans on a first-class trip to Mars -- with a layover in Hell," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "DOOM 3 is coming to the PC and delivering the most atmospheric, terrifying and visually mind-blowing gaming experience ever conceived."

2. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i've been drooling all over myself for a long time in wait for this game... i can't wait!!!

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It will be interesting but most of us will need new hardware. :eek:

4. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Everyone without a G5 at least... But the game comes at the right time, together with Rev. B Power Macs which makes it an ideal pair.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm ready for it! Been waiting a long, long time for it:

Dual 1.8 GHz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, OEM ATi Radeon 9800 Pro! :)

Please, please, let the release for Mac and PC be simultaneoulsy! (or better... Mac first! :p )

6. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

John Carmack said that the minimum req. 1000Mhz. 256MB of RAM
    GeForce 1 / Radeon 7xxx level of graphics card. Mac should be around there for the minimum. So the latest PowerBooks should run it with most of the options turned down. I doubt that id would just optimize for the G5, but anything is possible.

http://www.doom3portal.com/info/systemreq.php

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

hahaha. most anticipated game of the year my bottom.

you see which e3 movie has brought fileplanet to its knees today?

hint: it ain't D3 or halo2

doom 3 is going to be cool, and it's going to be fun, and i'm going to probably buy it, but HL2 is the most anticipated game of the year, beyond question.

It's mildly possible that D3 will be out on mac pretty close to the PC release, because supposedly John C really likes macs...sad thing is, even though it is ogl and carmack is making it, it will still be faster on 1200 dollar PCs than on 2500 dollar G5s...at least until they drop the X800 XT into the G5. (the way things are going, in 2006, probably!)

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

doom 3 should be released at the same time for all 3 platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows) as Quake 3 was.

9. tom.96 macrumors regular

These specs are for the PC version I think, so how would a 1ghz pentium translate to G3/4/5 speeds? With the specs above, any currently available mac should be able to run it ok, right?

I'm assuming RAM should be high for this game - 512mb for good performace or would it be best to go with 1gig of RAM

10. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

it will probably look like UT2K4

933/1 ghz g4 or g5 so g3s out of luck

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think there is a G5 in my near future although it looks a better bet than upgrading my main machine.

It looks like your iMac DV SE is more out of luck than my dual G4/800 but not by that much. The only thing I can do for a little money (relatively-speaking) is to upgrade my video card. The current GeForce 4MX is capable but not quite powerful.

12. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

It's definitely out of luck, but there's a new G5 waiting for me. It will probably come later than Doom 3, but I won't have to wait much longer :D

13. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

So happy to have an Athlon 2400 w/9700 Pro.

My portables are macs.

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I think that's actually a good idea... next round of hardware updates for me, I'm prolly going back to a PC tower and use a mac laptop.

15. scooterbaga macrumors newbie

This game was unveiled with the amazing "geforce 3" gfx card at some apple event. So shouldn't it still play just fine on that card and everything afterwards?

16. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

In reality, no. I'm sure the game has changed a lot since then.

Remember when Halo was first unveiled...on a mac? I can't quote the specs at the moment, but I'm sure they were pretty crappy. You definitely need a better computer than the one they demoed it on to play Halo.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It was at MacWorld Tokyo in February 2001 (yes, really.... 3 years ago)

There's a nice read about it here

AFAIR the demo was more about the detail levels of the characters, so no huge 3D maps and stuff.... Still, it was VERY impressive then, as the whole game shoud be now! :)

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I think the original pc halo demos were done on nVidia Riva TNT 2 cards. These babies were a generation behind the Geforce 1 and had no hardware transform and lighting abilities (hence it wasn't a gpu, just a 3d chip). The recently released pc and mac halos require much more horsepower partly due to the graphics upgrades in the game itself, but also partly due to a spectacularly bad porting job from the xbox.

19. Gyroscope macrumors regular

"Funny" thing is that for the 1/3 of price for video card you'd need to buy to play doom3 on Mac, you could buy an Xbox and doom3 game.

I could never understand people who spend $1500 -$2500 for PC just to play games.

20. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

21. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I hope they stay true to doom unlike how Quake 2 and Quake 3 completely ruined the feel of the original in all respects. I'm really dissapointed that Id isn't including co-op play in the PC version... just Xbox. What were they thinking?!? If it wasn't bad enough that Halo didn't have co-op for the PC/Mac... I read an interview where Id said it would be "better fit" for the console version... wtf... I think it's just as good of a fit for the PC version... doom 1 and 2 supported co-op... end of rant.

22. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

i hadn't heard about the no co-op for the PC/Mac versions. that just makes me angry as i was greatly looking forward to that just like i was with Halo. man they're just trying to ruin my gaming arn't they? i really hope that this turns out to be untrue or at least have them change their minds.

23. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, for one thing, you get faster load times, much higher screen resolutions, better graphics, much better controls in shooters, the ability to download many more features online (although xbox live is changing that), and the online service doesn't cost extra aside from your internet connection.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I couldn't imagine trying to play an FPS without a mouse.

25. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

yeah that's one thing that drives me insane! i mean how the heck can you possibly use a joystick to aim??? :confused: