Actor Ossie Davis dies at 87

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another great one gone. He brought a distinguished strength to many of the roles he played.

A few years ago, the Cleveland Orchestra's home, Severance Hall, was lavishly refurbished. They broadcast the first concert the Cleveland Orchestra did from their new digs on TV, and Ossie Davis was there to host the program and show us around. He was a perfect choice.

It's sad to know he's gone.

Link

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to Ruby Dee, his family, and friends. May Ossie rest in peace. A great actor, he will be missed. To think that at the age of 87 he was still working on a movie. A very unusual couple in Hollywood to have been married for 55 years is truly amazing. :(

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The LA Times has a little more complete account of his life than that CNN story.

Link

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

cont'd

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Was he in the movie, Do the right thing? If so, I just saw that movie last year. :(

6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Yes, he played "The Mayor." Ossie was supposed to speak on campus here for MLK day in 2004 but canceled at the last moment due to illness.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I just heard about this. He was really good, and will be missed. Not just for his work, brilliant as it was, but for his activism as well. I hear a lot of complaints about actors getting involved in causes, but I think of him, and am glad that some do take the time to try and help people instead of just living a life of decadent luxury.

I just saw Bubba Ho Tep awhile ago, he was great in it. If you haven't seen it yet, I'd recommend it.