Actor Richard Harris dies

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spike Spiegel, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

I dont know if any body has heard, but acting lost a great thespian a day or two ago. Richard Harris, the irish-born actor you might know as dumbledor from harry potter or marcus aurelias from gladiator died the other day at 72 from Hodgekins disease.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

He will be missed. Who will play Dumbledor in the next Harry Potter Movie? Possibly Anthony Hopkins!:rolleyes:

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

HMMMMMMMMMMMM........ Anthony Hopkins......... Ummmmmmmmm....... Registering this concept........ processing......... NO.

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

He has not been well for some time, and during the first movie they had to use a look-alike for some scenes when he didn't have the strength to film the scene.

The look-alike will be taking over the role full time, with someone else imitating his voice.

He will definitely be missed.

(moment of silence)

5. Spike Spiegel thread starter macrumors regular

i can just imagine anthony hopkins as dumbledore
    Harry:what happened to draco?
    Dumbledore:i ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti....thpthpthpthpthp!

6. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I read an article about him in the 'Sunday Mail'. Pages- of todays newspaper (if you're in QLD) or most newspapers wpuld have an adrticle about his death. I liked the first Harry Potter movie, but how sad is seeing that one of the actors now dead.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I was saddened by this news. :(

This just brings up again what I've thought so many times in the past: that's the risk that's run when you create a film series that has an elderly character in it. You really don't know how long the actor's going to live... it's a gamble. That being said, it's better that he was in the first two Harry Potter movies than be in none at all.

He will definitely be missed.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's sad but to be expected. I hope his latest role gives him great satisfaction.

Wasn't his first worldwide screen role in Camelot? I suppose this depends on an interpretation of "worldwide" of course.

He's been acting on screen and off longer than most of MacRumors members have been alive.

9. diorio macrumors 6502a

I enjoyed Richard Harris greatly in many roles. My favorite role that he played was a little known show on PBS called "The Great Cadinsky". It was kind of like modern Houdinni, very interesting. As for Dumbledore, I don't think Anthony Hopkins, a.k.a "Hannibal", would fit the role.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

anyone who does is crazy or...... well yeah, crazy.

11. Spike Spiegel thread starter macrumors regular

the people in charge of the harry potter movie have a tough decision to make regarding its third film: could they get away with a stand-in actor for dumbldore, or will they use the look-alike used in the second film, with harris' lines imitated over it. Seeing as how they haven't gotten around to filming the third movie yet, they may not be able to use the technique used in gladiator, when actor oliver reed(proximo) died during shooting. what they did was to superimpose film of him previously, mixed with film of a double in non-facial shots, and dialogue that he had already recorded prior to his death.(if you havent seen this in action, check out the scene in gladiator when the slaves revolt to cover maximus' escape, also the scene when proximo is giving some last-minute advice to maximus before he battles solo when he says "shadows and dust"; he look grainy and out of place in both scenes.)

12. elensil macrumors regular

New Dumbledore

Warner Brothers are considering several candidates. Among them are Cristopher Lee (Saruman in LOTR, etc) and Richard Harris' body double (he's already been filling his shoes in several scenes of Chamber of Secrets.

13. cubist macrumors 68020

Do you mean Sir Richard Harris...

... the fellow who also sang "Macarthur's Park"?

14. elensil macrumors regular

Christopher Lee rumor is falce.

Lee denies rumors
    This was posted moments ago on the official Christopher Lee web site:

"In view of the ever increasing speculation about the possibility of me playing Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film, I wish to make it totally clear that at no time have I ever been approached to play this part.

The quote in some newspapers “That I was approached 3 years ago and turned it down” is completely untrue.

The situation has never arisen and in view of the fact that Richard Harris has only been dead for a few days, it would be inappropriate and distasteful for me to make any further comment”

www.mugglenet.com