Acts of God not covered...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by knowledg333, Jan 10, 2007.

1. knowledg333 macrumors member

Hey friends,

I was reading the AppleCare terms and conditions pdf, and I noticed that the pla does not cover damage caused by any acts of God. If you wish to see the words yourself, you can find them in section 1, paragraph b, article ii. Hilarious, but a good decision by Apple.

On aother note, can anybody tell me if it is really worth it to but AppleCare for my 24" iMac or my 17" MacBook Pro?

Thanks friends,
    -Michael-

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

God will smite your MBP, don't you know?:D

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

did you see Billy's film. "the man who sued god" ?

filmed in Australia... Of course (all the good movies are)..

what a crack up! :)

"what the fck is an act of god"? hehehe

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That's pretty much standard for any insurance or warranty. It means rain, floods, hurricanes, etc. That, or if you start doing naughty things in church and god smites you. You know, just keeping all their bases covered.

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Hehehe, they've got it all covered! I wonder what kind of incidents can be considered as "Acts of God"

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I don't think it's a good idea to buy applecare when you buy the mac, but rather you should wait 11 months because by then the machine will probably have revealed it's true nature and whether or not it's a lemon. Also, keep in mind that apple will not honor applecare on the MBP if there is even a tiny dent in the case.

7. Time Machine macrumors newbie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_god

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I wonder if you could argue against the 'Act of God' clause if you're an Atheist?

10. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

There's a great bit in one of Douglas Adams Dirk Gently books about an Eagle turning into a fighter plane (it's complicated) and subsequently taking out part of someone's house. The transition is brought about by the god Thor but Gently's character argues that whilst it was an act of a god, it wasn't the God (what with Britain being a christian country) and therefore should be covered. Classic Adams.

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So if you are a subscriber to intelligent design or creationism does that not make everything an "Act of God"? If I spilled coffee on my keyboard it's an "Act of God" since I would not have existed to spill it if God had not created me. If a component fails is that not because it was constructed with faulty materials created by God? Seems to me that clause could get you out of honoring any warrantee....

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's definitely worthwhile on the 17" MBP, and likely worthwhile on the 24" iMac. I tend not to recommend it for minis, low-end iMacs, etc.... but for the more expensive Macs, I think it's good insurance.
    Not entirely true. They might not, depending on who takes care of it, but the laptop doesn't need to be in pristine condition to be covered. A lot depends on the type and location of the dent (in addition to the good will or lack thereof of the person handling the case).

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Is this a policy on the MBPs only? A friend had some minor case damage on his 15" PB when his hard drive failed and Applecare didn't give him any trouble over it.

14. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Same. When the hubby took his PB in for some service last year there was a small dent on one of the edges. He got no flack about it and everything was covered. As part of their repairs they also fixed the dent.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In this day and age I bet you could. I would also bet that you would win too.

EDIT: Well probably not against Apple. :D

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Nah, they just replace the word, "God", with Acts of Nature.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the reason they don't is because various words and phrases have well established meanings in judicial procedings and so the people who write these documents like to stick with terms with an accepted definition

18. knowledg333 thread starter macrumors member

God gave us free will, so I think that waives His liability for any "Acts of People." Basically it's our fault for spilling coffee or failing to manufacture a component with "good" materials.

19. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Not really. Intelligent design is how we came to be but we are at least blessed with a degree of independence regardless of how conservative their thinking is. If you spill coffee on your keyboard it's because you're clumsy. Intelligent design doesn't mean that everything designed is intelligent.

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Dead pixels :p

21. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yes, God smote my MBPs screen, but only selectively

22. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

:rolleyes:

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Tee-hee.

Oh, how true that is...

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

exactly, they didn't cover damage caused by Devil or Buddha neither ! :eek:

25. wako macrumors 65816

because "Natural Disaster" wouldnt cover if you decided to leave your aluminum notebook outside of a thunderstorm and a 100000v bolt of lightening decided to hit it. Or for example if you UPS truck carrying your package drove on a bridge that wasnt sturdy and broke.