Actual delivery times from Amazon.co.uk

Discussion in 'Community' started by lssmit02, Dec 3, 2004.

1. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I have to send some gifts to family in Europe, and was wondering if anyone has an opinion about whether the UK version of Amazon is a good place to shop for them, particularly in terms of delivery times. The site estimates delivery times of between 4 to 6 days from order date via airmail. If that is reliable, that would mean I could order on Friday, and have it delivered by Thursday the following week to Denmark or Norway.

Thanks

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can't comment on the service to Europe but it can be a lottery how fast they are even in the UK.

Someone in the office ordered early last Thursday morning. Item was 'usually despatched within 24 hours' and it didn't arrive until Wednesday this week - 1 Dec. Then again, that might have more to do with Royal Mail than Amazon!

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I know from personal experience that Amazon UK's expected despatch times are at best misleading - at worst complete fiction.

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

amazon uk used to be amazingly accurate when it came to estimated dispatches and delivery dates but since they hit it big they have gone downhill. Quite often it says expected in 3-5 days or something and you get it the next day. Of course thats by no means a bad thing but they used to be so very accurate whereas now it really is a lottery especially when it comes to items that are available in x number of days. I guess thats the price you pay when a company grows so much.

I'd be a little careful if you have to get whatever you order there by a certain time, maybe opt for the more expensive delivery option to ensure that it will get there.

5. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Heya,

I ordered my iPod on Amazon.co.uk on October 5th, just recieved it a few days ago... The dispatch time got put back twice, and each time, there was a huge range of possible delivery dates in between the two extreme values.

Oh well!

andy.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I've ordered a few things from Amazon.co.uk and their estimates are a lot better than amazon.ca that is for sure. I had a dvd sent from the uk store to a friend in switzerland and it arrived in just a few days...but itt really depends on the item you want I guess.....oh yeah!

7. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I had two seperate orders with them this week, the first was due to be dispatched on the 6th December and arrive on the 8th..it arrived on the 2nd December! The second order was almost the same, expected dispatch 3rd December with 2 - 3 days delivery, but actually arrived on the 1st!

All my orders usually come early, pretty impressive really, it's generally best to ignore the projected arrival date and just wait for the email to say its been dispatched then the next to say its with Royal Mail.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Sadly, I've had the other extreme. Amazon said dispatched in 24 hours when it really meant not even posted for a week....

9. Bob21 macrumors newbie

Generally, I have found the Amazon delivery times to be fairly accurate. Over the last few years I have ordered quite a few DVD's and CD's and had very little problems with them.

As Duff-Man said, it may also depend on what type of items you are ordering.

10. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the responses..

The key is, I guess, to make sure you order long before Christmas, just to be confident the package will get there in time.

My other dilemma is that I'm sending stuff to Norway, which is not in the EU, and so subject to customs, unlike EU member states. I have to figure out how to have Amazon.co.uk write "Gift" on the label. If they do, my understanding is that the Norwegian post office will not tax it, if it is under 1000 Nkr.

I would buy everything here in the US, but the damn region codes on DVDs means that I need to buy them from a European store to get Region 2 DVDs. Also, shipping costs are lower from the uk store, when shipping to Europe (naturally).

Again, thanks for all the responses.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can't you find a Norwegian website that sells those DVDs?

Most shopping sites have enough similarities that not reading the language isn't a problem I've ordered from German and French sites to send to friends without fully understanding what I was reading! ;)

12. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

As I understand it, there is no good Norwegian ecommerce site. So I'm stuck ordering from a site in another country, whether it be the UK, France, etc.

13. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I dunno about your Customs guys but our ones have figured that one out and 'Gifts' are very definately liable for VAT and duty.