Actual iTunes System Reqs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Totalshock, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Totalshock macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a (very) used iBook for my fiancee, so she has a machine available to move around the place with when I need the Powerbook. I notice on the iTunes Download Page, it says that iTunes requires "G3 400 or higher" processor.

How "hard" are those rules? One of the systems I'm scouting is an Clamshell iBook - 366 MHz G3, which I can probably get a hold of pretty cheap.

Given that the machine will just be used for e-mail, Web browsing, iTunes (streaming from my machine via iTunes and/or controlling what's playing on the living room speakers using AirTunes), will a 366 MHz iBook (with as much RAM as I can get my hands on....) do the job acceptably? Also, will that old of an iBook run Panther satisfactorily? And will Apple continue its policy of supporting any G3, G4 or G5 when Tiger launches?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I am pretty sure it will work. We have some iMac 333's at work that are funning Panther, which also has the latest version of iTunes on it. I think you are good to go.

jon

3. Totalshock thread starter macrumors member

Hey Jon... thanks for the quick response... and the (sounds like) positive news on the system. How does Panther and/or iTunes handle on those iMacs? I know it's going to be slower and not as flashy as on a G4 or G5... but for general surfing and e-mail and word processing... I assume it's still capable?

Thanks again!

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I use it from time to time when I sit at those desks. For e-mail and surfing and listening it is simple. Yes you will feel the lag, in some cases your fast typing can lag as it tries to catch up. Keep it minimal and things should be fine. Also, now that I think of it, we may just only have 128MB of RAM in it. I will check tomorrow, cause if that is all it has that might be reason for it's lagging from time to time.

jon

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If you can get a 600MHz G3 white ibook the performance will be a lot better as not only is the processor faster, the bus speed is faster on the 600MHz+ ibooks. 100MHz vs 66MHz. You should be able to get these pretty cheap too as they'll all be out of warranty now. They're lighter too. The only issue is to make sure it's had a new logic board :(

Obviously a ton of RAM can make a huge difference to performance as well.