Actual Ti800 Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by fuzzhack, Jul 8, 2002.

1. fuzzhack macrumors newbie

I just got my powerbook 800 and I have charged it, and run it all the way down several times and I'm still only getting 2-3 hours of use with minimal CPU usage. Anyone else getting better battery life?

-patrick

2. CountZero macrumors member

2-3 hours sound about right. I can get just over 3 hours of general usage (web surfing, emailing, etc.) while sitting in my sofa connected via AirPort. So I presume I will get a tiny bit more battery time if I connect via ethernet.

Once I got over 4 hours of battery time when I use my Ti800 as a MP3 player only on the plane. I turned the screen brightness all the way down to black and just run iTunes. Pretty impressive considering the amount CPU iTunes uses.

CZ

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Battery life will also be affected if you have the hard drive set to spin down or not. I never let mine spin down, nor do I dim the screen. I still get close to 3 hours of battery time out of it. If I was to let it dim and spin down, I could get even more time out of it.

The airport card doesn't draw a hell of a lot of power, so I don't see it extending, or cutting down, the battery time.

When you charged the battery, did you follow the directions in the book??? I seem to remember it saying to allow it to charge for several hours before discharging it. Like over night (~8 hours). You really don't need to discharge and charge the battery more then once every month or three. The new batteries are nothing like the old ones, which needed to be fully discharged or they would be paper weights.

4. Santiago macrumors regular

If I downclock to 667 and turn screen brightness all the way down, I can get about 4.5 hours of typing work out of mine.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I like the screen nice and bright and the processor fast...

The ONLY time I could see doing either downclocking or dimming the screen is if you really MUST work on it on a plane, and you didn't have either a spare battery or one of the airline adapters (for power).

6. fuzzhack thread starter macrumors newbie

Airline Adapters Standard?

Do they have those airline adapters in most planes, I guess I just haven't looked. I always fly southwest, so anyone know about thier planes?

-fuzzhack

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You purchase the adapter to work with your computer and the power outlet on the plane. I've never used one, but I have seen them listed. Check it out here.

8. mmcneil macrumors regular

Downclock??

I don't remember that option? Are you running 10.2?

9. mmcneil macrumors regular

Lind electronics has one that doubles in autos also (works for three different generations of PBs) - alas I have never been on a plane that had a plug-in.

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey mmcneil

you can go into system prefrences > energy saver prefrences and then the options tab, you can then choose if you want to check the box 'reduce processor performance'

i think that on the 800 it will bring it down to 667MHz. i'm not sure what it will do to the 667... and it's been there since 10.1.3, and probably before that.

11. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

So it drops the processing speed to 667mhz. It doesn't automatically jump up to 800mhz when processing gets intensive, does it?

12. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: hey mmcneil

Alas I only had my 800 Tibook for a few months and am now back to my trusty Lombard - no option for processor speed. Needless to say that is the least of my disappointments:rolleyes:

13. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

L3 cache gets turned off

On both new tibooks, cb911, the L3 cache gets turned off when 'reduced processor performance' is checked. Also as you mentioned with the ti800, the processor speed is reduced to 667 mhz.

-Those who dream big, make it big. Those who dream small, earn chump change for the rest of their lives.