Actual Viruses / Spyware / Malware for OS X???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superleccy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Hi there

I wonder, has anyone on these boards ever encountered, personally, a real Virus on their Mac? Or a real bit of Spyware, or basically any actual Malware?

I have searched these forums and have found various explanations of why OSX is immune or nearly immune to such nasties. Some of these explanations are based on technical arguments, some are based on faith. I have also found a few threads go something like "I heard of a friend..." or "I read somewhere..." or "According to Symantec...". This isn't what my question is about.

So has anyone ever experienced, first hand, real spyware / malware / spyware on their Mac?

Regards
    Superleccy

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Nope. Been using OS X for over 2 years now. Nothing.

3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Nope. In fact, when I switched 2.5 years back I actually paid for Norton's on my PB. Bad idea, what a waste of money.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You stand a much larger chance of spreading the flu virus than any computer virus with a Mac. ;)

5. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Never encountered one, and we've been using OS X since it came out.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Closest I got slowed my Mac down and gave me random alerts and dialogue boxes every now and then. It was actually the predecessor to this version, but you get the idea...

7. portent macrumors 6502a

No, never.

But I have personally seen Hong Kong/AutoStart worm-infected Macs running System 7, many years ago. A very different situation, on a very different OS.

8. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

9. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

lol! Funny, I had this very same "virus" back in my dark & distant Windoze days too!

BTW, I should also mention that in the 1 year I have owned a Mac, I have not had any viruses, spyware or malware either. (Unless you count MS Office).

Regards
    Superleccy

10. Melkor macrumors 6502

Ah this is just the reason I'm switching to mac. I can't tell you the grief Norton is causing me. I will be rid of it soon...

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can honestly say I never have. And I do not run any type of virus protection, spyware tool, etc. on my Mac - the only protection I really have is my router which acts as a hardware firewall. Even without that though, I doubt I would run into any troubles. :cool:

12. andcraig macrumors regular

Yes. I have.
    Ha!
    i win.

but yeah. MS Office is stil susceptible to macro viruses and such, but really easy to fix you just trash the preferences and the infected word docs.
    And it was my own fault. But yeah OSX doesn't get viruses but some of the apps can.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No viruses (because there are none), but I've had two different servers hacked on two separate occasions. Both ran 10.3. One was a file server and someone managed to remotely get into the admin account and delete some files. The password was very secure, so I don't know how they got in. The other was a webserver. Someone managed to hack the admin account (again, it was a pretty damn good password) and set up bittorrent.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Office is a MS product - what do expect from a company with the same initials as a disease itself? ;) :D

15. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

ive been using macs since the APPLE II running OS what ever, 7 8 9? i dont remember. Then we got a windows computer after the mac's keyboard went out on us, couldnt turn the computer on with out it :(. Then we finally got a PM G5 a few months after they came out, and haven't had a virus yet. We did have it crash on us with 10.3.7 i think it was, worst up date ever. Had to re-install Panther.

I have been told by a windows guy that itunes has spyware in it's programming. I forgot what exactly he said it spied on, but he went on and on about how a mac had spyware on it. He is a really smart guy, but a a$$ hole. He uses a old PM G4 for video editing, but never admits it to any one but me. So my answer would be no, macs dont have spyware. Although i still wonder about itunes some times, just seems to good to be true that there isn't viruses and spyware.

16. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

What was your virus, andcraig? I guess from your post that it was MS Office related. What did it do? How did you get it? How did you get rid of it?

Just interested.

Regards
    Superleccy

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Our Mac II (system 6.0.8) got a virus a long long time ago. I was pretty young, but I vaguely remember my dad dealing with it. As for an OS X virus/malware, I've never experienced such a thing first hand. Based on everything I've read, no true viruses exist for OS X. Never heard of any spyware either, but there have been a couple rootkits and some malicious Word macros.

18. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I read this article the other day. I believe it gives you a pretty unbiased picture of OS X's security situation.

A

19. xmiinc macrumors newbie

Longtime Macuser here...No virii ever encountered on a Mac. Can't say as much for the Winblows laptop I own, but now everythings behind a hardware firewall. In fact, just this morning I finally removed Norton Autoprotect on OSX and Norton Personal Firewall. I got tired of the misc. update alerts and incessant reminders of what couldn't be loaded because I'd shut them off!! Finally, I've got Desktop/startup silence...and it is golden.

20. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I am proud to belong to the majority of mac users, if not all, who say "NO" I have not experienced any. :)

21. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

No.

and xmiinc, virii isn't a word. It's viruses. :)

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hey Shard, it is not a disease or virus.

Rather it is a product feature! :p :D

Sushi