Actually about older OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Togglehead, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Togglehead macrumors 6502

Ive seen this "command prompt" like window that opens up....you can type in it....and supposedly run commands.....but what is it, and whats it used for?

It pops up on the finder....you cant do ANYTHING but type in there....and it doesnt go away unless you restart.....my old compact mac had a button on the side that brough tup that window.....is it hotkeys now?

Just a little info on this myth would be great!

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. Timepass macrumors 65816

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

That would be the debugging window under OS 9 and earlier. You can get there by pressing the Programmer Interrupt button.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

...and it is generally not a good idea to fool around in there, since you can mess with some low-level functions with potentially disastrous results.

6. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont really want to mess around....im just curious as to what it does.....id love to learn some of the low level stuff about the architecture and OS workings....

i bought this laptop to play with.....to re learn macs.....im not afraid to bork an OS install.....

Programmer interrupt button?

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

don't go there. low level meaning, below the OS, into firmware stuff, serious destruction capabilities, not just an OS re-install.
    If you want to get into the inner workings, you'd be better off putting X on it and learning terminal, your wallstreet and iMac should both cope with Panther just fine if you max the RAM

8. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

AH..i see...well then my curiosity stops there....thanks!

panther...sweet thats what i like to hear...=D

Is it true that i will have to run OS9 with xpostfacto to get panther on there, or is that just for jag and tiger.....

9. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

oh. mm. yes. maybe. the iMac should be fine, but the Wallstreet isn't USB native so you'll need xpost to get Jaguar, not sure if it stretches to Panther

10. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Based on this, OS8.6.

11. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

panther is fine.....i would be ok with puma or Cheetah too.....i just dont want to have to run both os9 and X to get my lpatop running...lol

12. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

yes...OS 8.6...sorry

Although i know its on earlier versions too....thats why i didnt specify....i keep forgetting OSX is a dramtic difference.....sorry guys

13. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm i just noted that i need jaguar...NOT panther.....something 10.2 or before to not run OS9 in conjunction....correct?

14. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

As far as i understand it - X (any version up to 10.3 "Panther") will install just fine on it's own on any mac with built-in USB (like your iMac although it will probably need a firmware update, available from Apple, which you'll probably need OS9 to install). .

Any Mac without USB (like your Wallstreet) you'll need xpostfacto to be able to install X, and you need 9 or higher running on it to use xpostfacto, but xpost v.4 will apparently let you install any version of X (it mentions problems with video on Wallstreet PowerBooks running Panther - so it must be possible.
    Xpostfacto will also install 10.4 "Tiger" on your iMac

Once you have X (of any flavour) installed, you can dump OS9 altogether if you want, but i suspect you'll need it to get that far.

15. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

oh hmmm...thats good news....so is xpostfacto just a scripted installer...and not a shell running program?

like....it'll install osX....but isnt running at the same time.....or...Running osx in a "window" of os9

hmmm...thats good news.....im installing os9 first anyways....(when i get it)...and ill think about where to go from there.....=]

16. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

yes. xpostfacto just "fools" the X install into installing on a system that would normally cause it to refuse to do so because it's not USB native or unsupported.

17. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502