ad aware for Mac??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Sep 12, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

The PC world has programs that remove spy programs. Are they needed and available for Mac?? I've never seen one.

Frank

2. yellow5 macrumors regular

3. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

There is no adware/spyware for Mac, so its not needed like yellow5 said.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds great. Tell me this. What's the difference between a "cookie" and a spy program?? Are they similar. I'm pretty sure mac's use cookies???

Thanks again.

Frank

5. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Nope, they don't have anything to do with each other as far as I know. A cookie is a small file that websites store on your computer to save your preferences for that site and such. Spyware records your information and sends it back to a server.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As far as I know, a cookie can only tell the server it originated from the details you have already given it through your browser at best. Whereas spyware or adware can get information from your computer and give it to whichever server it is set up to send the information to.

Don't worry about spyware at all. Each time you want to run some sort of spyware program, instead go into Disk Utility in your Utilities folder in Applications and repair permissions. It has nothing to do with spyware but it's a pretty cool way of making you feel like your helping your computer (which you are to an extent). :)

7. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

But if you still want to make sure, there are these:

http://www.allume.com/mac/cleanup/

Internet Surity Barrier

Netbarrier

There are more on the Apple website. It's a matter of searching.

8. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Been using a Mac since 1995, never once (no kidding either) had any type of virus or spyware. Oh well. ::shrugs:: :rolleyes: