Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drivefast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
i tried to install an app on somebody else's iphone.
- i temporarily connected the iphone to my mac, to get its device id (is there another way to obtain a device id?)
- i added the device in my devices list on app portal
- i already had a blanket app id (xxxxxxxxxx.*) which works with development profiles
- i went to provisioning, distribution, and created a new profile: ad-hoc, my app id, selected all the devices that i had available. then downloaded the provisioning profile created.
- for the project, ive set the active sdk for "device", the active build configuration for "release". in target properties i have the application name as "${EXECUTABLE_NAME}", the identifier as "com.[domainname].[appname]" and the icon as "Icon" (i do have a png file named "Icon" in the same folder with the app but the pic is not shown).
- i build. i assume the bundle is created in the directory indicated in project -> edit active executable. mine is supposed to be the default setting, that is /Users/[user]/Documents/appname/build/Release-iphoneos/[appname].app
- i move the provisioning file and the [appname].app bundle to the windowz pc, and i drag them both into the itunes library
- it looks like itunes did happily accept both of them (at least it doesnt display the barred circle item that it shows when you try to drag a random file in there).

the result is that the app shows in the apps list, with the right name, but the default icon (not the one i had for it). and, unfortunately, whenever i sync the iphone with itunes, i get an unknown 0xE8000013 error.

any of you has any idea what this could be about. i must have done something wrong, but there's not more that i can debug from. uh, i also compared the files in the application bundle that landed on the pc hard drive with the similar files from another app downloaded from the app store. but that lead didnt take me too far.

thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.