AD-HOC wireless network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by schmidrf, Sep 2, 2005.

1. schmidrf macrumors newbie

Hello, I am having a bit of trouble creating a computer to computer wi-fi network. My college requires the purchase of a white-box PC laptop, but I use my powerbook every chance I get. In the cases when I cannot bring my powerbook, it would be nice to have my music at hand, however I did not bring the necessary firewire cable. I have a computer with windows xp and tiger, but I don't know how to connect them... a google revealed nothing helpful... does anyone know of a web guide that can help (Apple's support page didnt even do much!)

thanks in advance,
    Ricky

2. whyrichard macrumors 68000

oh man i've been trying to figure out how the hell to do this for monthes and no avail....

the closest i got was to screw the ad hoc network and just use an airport express....!

very frustrating....

r.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I evetually got one going between my iMac G5 and HP Wireless Printer, it was pain, and after being on the phone for an hour with HP tech support he told me I needed to return it. I kept trying later that night and got it working (Hp tech told me to press the wrong buttons, about 50 times!). Anyways, all I've learned is that Ad-hoc networks are a pain, (and somewhat unreliable). If you can find the money just go get an airport express.

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I know what you all mean about Ad-Hoc, it is a REAL PAIN! Those pesky things just won't talk straight to each other! They need a 'middle-person' router! :p
    Had plenty of fun in the past trying to get 2 PCs to talk to each other over ad-hoc, after a long play I managed it (just!), but the signal was so unreliable. Stick a router in-between and suddenly everything works without you doing anything!! argh! :mad:

5. schmidrf thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm.. that works just as well, I have an AP Express actually, but to turn on filesharing at my school is pretty risky, but I guess I could put a password on it... wow I am supprised that I didn't think of that earlier.... thanks -Ricky