ad removal from mac AIM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Steven1621, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

does anyone know of a program to remove the ad's from the mac version of AIM?

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Are you aware that Apple's own iChat speaks the same protocol as AIM, so it's likely you don't actually need to use the AIM program itself? Or is it just a preference issue regarding client programs?

(BTW no I don't know a simple answer for this)

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

See this thread for why he's using AIM instead of iChat:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=69751

4. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

the AIM profile is a very important part of teenage communication. i hope they add it to iChat in the near future.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Prolly a hidden condition Apple must agree to, to be able to use the AIM service with iChat. Like something to the effect of "No profiles" and "no animated buddy icons". You gotta remember that iChat is the only program that supports a chat service it's maker (in this case Apple) does not own as well. AOL makes money on those AIM ads, you don't think they can let Apple get off scott free do ya?

Someone's bound to mention Adium and Fire and so on, well these programs do not get AOL's, MSN's, or Yahoo's permission to use their services. Which is why everynow and then the compatibility with those services are broken, and users must wait for a patch.

6. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

adium lets you make profiles. The only thing that isn't fully implimented yet is file transfer. I like it a lot better than aim on a pc
    Steve

7. mms macrumors 6502a

I think another reason for not having animated buddy icons is practical. Since iChat uses icons in every message and in the buddy list, it would take too much system resources to animate every single one of those. I use Adium, which does both animated gifs and a profile, without any ads. It also takes up very little system resources, unlike the Mac version of AIM, which IMO sucks. Even though Adium is still in development (0.52 is the latest right now), it has been stable for me and has all the features I need.

8. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

In case it hasn't been mentioned enough times already, AdiumX really is a great AIM app. The latest version, .53, offers new themes for the message interface that are really slick.

iChat is cute, but it just doesn't cut it.

9. sakasune macrumors member