ADB == Mini-DIN?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Amad3U5, Jan 19, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Nov 17, 2012
    I want to buy an Apple Extended Keyboard to use with my MacBook Pro. Naturally, this means that I must purchase an ADB to USB adapter. However, no manufacturer seems to make these anymore, and the scarce units on eBay are incredibly expensive. So I discovered that ADB is simply Apple's version of Mini-DIN, and found Mini-DIN to USB adapters for significantly cheaper.

So my question is: can I use a generic 4-pin Mini-DIN to USB adapter for use with my Mac, or must I opt for the more expensive ADB to USB?
  2. macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    While they share the same connector, they do not share the same electrical signals. It'll fit, but not work.
  3. David Schmidt, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Aug 22, 2006
    Southeastern USA
    Not only that, but you're confusing the connectors. The ADB port is NOT the 8-pin mini-DIN serial port you're finding adapters for. ADB is a 4-pin mini-DIN connector that shares the physical characteristics (but not the electrical ones, obviously) with S-video.

Here's an adapter that looks like it'll do ADB:

But these serial adapters won't:
  4. macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2010
    Central CA
    Dave Schmidt is correct in his pictures...the top one is the Griffin iMate ADB to USB adaptor, which will work, but is now very rare:

Newegg page

The bottom pictures are of a serial to usb converter, which has a differing number of pins.

Following up on Dave's comment, I have regularly used S-Video cables with my ADB Mac Keyboards and old Mac's, and have never had a problem.