ADC Developer Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Aaon, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Aaon macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Hello All, this is my first post to Macrumors, though I have been an avid reader for a year now. I have been a PC person for years, but after using a G4 sawtooth for the past year at work, I am convinced that the Mac is the machine for me!

At any rate, my question boils down to this: I am looking to buy a Powerbook 15", 128mb vram, 512mb memory (though I'll prolly do a Crucial upgrade later). As a graduate student I can get an educational discount. However, it looks like if I join the Apple Developer Connection as a student member for $99, I can get an additional $200 off the price of the machine over the already good student discounts. I can't seem to find a catch to this, aside from being limited to a single system purchase under the program, though how many machines do I need (I chuckle at this point, since I already own 3 PCs of varying age)? Has anyone utilized the ADC program? It seems like such a good deal, yet I don't hear of anyone taking advantage of it.

On a side note, what is your opinion of the screen quality of the 15"? I am currently using an IBM A31p Thinkpad, which has, in my opinion, one of the most fantastic LCDs that I have ever seen on a portable machine. I am especially curious about the brightness levels of the screen. Is it bright and shiny? I'll mainly be using the machine for development and mathematical simulations, so I want to make sure that I won't get a headache staring at the text on the screen all day!

Well. I think that is a sufficently long post. Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts!

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    The 15" is a fabulous laptop. After owning one - you won't even think of another vendor ever again.

Don't abuse the Developer discount. If you plan to develop software for Apple or the OSX community - it is okay to use. Apple does require proof of enrollment, and has in the past required computer science related coursework.
  3. Aaon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004

Hmm... well, after reviewing the documentation on the Apple site regarding the use of the machine as a "development" machine, i think I'd best stay away from this one. While I will indeed be doing some coding and development work on the machine, it won't really be aimed at developing software or hardware for distribution or sale. Ethically, I think I'd best steer clear of that and go with the standard student discount.... Alas, the $200 savings would be nice...

Carletonmusic, thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate the help and advice!

4. itsumo macrumors member

Jul 6, 2004
    As long as you're using it for your coursework I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

I'm planning to produce my dissertation on XML and OSX, which I'm going to be spending about 6 months on. I informed them of this when I applied for the student ADC and they were happy to give it to me.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I wouldn't sweat it. You'd be getting only $200 off a system, which would probably "set the hook" and cause you to be a Mac user for life. Plus, you work in an environment that might prompt other Mac sales once people see yours. And, there's always the chance that you might release something to be given away. Keeping that in mind might make your personal development projects more robust ("maybe someone else could use this") and lead, in a self-fulfilling prophesy sort of way, to a release. The mere fact that you're ethically concerned about this, even though you will be developing on the system anyway, suggests that you would feel compelled to release something useful, and hence be worthy of the discount.
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    this is the key sentence in your whole post, you shouldn't be using it unless your actually developing software and having legit needs as a developer.

of course a whole bunch of less honest people will recommend that you do this because you know its there why not? I think your on the right track with your updated post, the regualr student discount is very nice and you should enjoy that while you can.
  7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I seem to be in the same boat as Aaon. The discount would be nice, but I won't be developing any software for sale. Rather, anything I create will be free to all. I am just now learning UNIX as a springboard to C, obj-C, C++, Java, flash, etc..

I plan to improve sourceforge stuff that crashes and make some of those dashboard widgets. Mine will be financial and/or information science oriented, as that is my focus in school. Should I apply for the discount, or wait until I'm actually developing the software, then get another system through ADC?

Also, what else does ADC get you, besides the discount. Special forums? OS's? Beta's?

thx, Kuyu :)