ADC discount?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wano, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I know this topic has been adressed before, but I still am kind of woried i may not qualify for the ADC discount. So, for those of you who have used the ADC membership to get a discount, I have a few questions for you:

If I sign up for the $99 student membership am I already guaranteed to get the discount, as long as I am a college student?
    If not, will being enrolled in a computer related class make me elegible?
    Do I need to send in proof of being a student and a schedule of my classes? If so, how does this work?
    Is there anything else I should know?

Thank you so much!

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

in theory, you have to be in a development related class. however, i think i've heard people claim that they got it without being in such a class

also, keep in mind that you only get one of these discounts ever...

3. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I just signed up for free and i got the 20% off everything discount:D :rolleyes:

I've bought a few thing using the discount and no one has said a thing.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't think Apple requires you to submit proof, but you have to state that you qualify. Apple is being very fair with students (and teachers), so it is up to us to play fair with Apple.

I think you qualify, so go for it.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

it's 20% off hardware. w00t! you don't get it for free...
    sometimes they ask you if you have a student membership but after i got a premiere membership they stopped asking questions ;)

6. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am pretty sure that you need to pay $99...if not how did you get it for free.

I aslo have another question...How do you show that you already have a membership when you check out? Do I have to call them before I buy it to prove to them that I am a student?...or do I just order, and then they verify later?

Thanks for all the info!

7. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

To see the discounts, go to this site:

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

I'm not sure how to do it over the phone...
    I just signed up for ADC a few years ago to get the beta updates. I don't know what kind of account I have and nothing says student account. I did select student as type of developer though. It never asked me to pay.

To sign up for an ADC account go to:

https://connect.apple.com/

8. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Students are intended to be able to have a 1 time only discount of 10-20%, on one machine and one display. If you are getting it for free there is something wrong with the system and it will be fixed. If you are not entitled to the discount, then you will be notified that you are not entitled afterwards. Every purchase has to be verified.

9. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Please do not abuse the ADC system because it is a valuable resource for all developers, and I would hate to see a few people ruin it for the rest of us.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

Ah. If ya didn't pay then you don't have discount but apple never checked? every single time i get something with the discount they always want me to verify.
    The online (free) membership doesn't come with any betas or discounts...are you sure?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It sounds as though you have an online ADC membership but you're buying from the education store and not getting an ADC discount at all.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

that seems like the logical answer...but you still have to show proof that you're a college student...

13. BubbaTAC macrumors member

you sign up for ADC online ($99) this requires a student ID number and you select your school.
    Then you buy from the ADC store (someone already posted the link) the discoutn differs from product to product I bought a prerelease 12" for $1439 and an AE card for $79 (plus $125 tax, but I won't complain about that here) and of course the $99 still really good savings...I highly recommend it...

They never once asked me about development classes (only took one and it was four years ago)

DO IT!
    Just so you know, it is against your user agreement to turn around and sell the thing..while they can't really prevent that, its really bad form. I was considering getting a 17" selling it and then buying a 12", but just be honest, we want a cheap computer, but we also want them ot not cancel this offer :)

14. BubbaTAC macrumors member

oh yeah, this is not the education store, it is a different store wit ha MUCH better discount...better even than the employee discount (theirs doesn't kick in until about a month after a product is released, and even then they get last priority if nummbers are short, which they always are)

15. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to all of you for all your input/info!
    So, I guess all I have to do is sign up for the student ADC, show them proof of being a student, then go to the ADC store and buy my computer...right?

16. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

It says right on the first link you gave what the # is: 1-800-793-9378, option 3

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

go to the ADC store, buy the computer (and probably show more proof) and presto! your computer arrives.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no you don't.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

sometimes yeah.

20. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

I would appreciate responses from people who actually speak from experience, rather than guessing. Thanks!

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

i do speak from experience...every single time i order something from the apple store using an ADC discount (first student, then premiere) they ALMOST ALWAYS ask me for proof. First time they asked if I was a student after that they wanted to verify if I was an ADC member :(

22. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

I though you have to be a college student to get the membership/discount thing...but what kind of proof do I need to show...like do I need to proove that I am in developer classes?
    Thanks!

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

something like that...yeah.

24. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

When I first signed up for the $99 ADC student account, they verified with my school that I was a currently attending student. I did use the discount a few months later to get a Dual 800 as a gift for my father. Another student that is a friend of mine had used his discount previously and tried to use it again on the ADC store, his order went through, but later got notification that his order was cancelled due to the fact that he had already used his discount. Each order does get reviewed by an ADC employee before anything actually happens with it.

25. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Were you taking any devlopement classes?