ADC -> DVI adapter or 6800 Ultra DDL?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Skiniftz, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2004
    I have a DP2.5GHz on order with a 9800XT in the UK.

The 9800XT as people know has one ADC and one DVI connector, but I need to connect 2 x DVI panel monitors to it.

Firstly I'm having some trouble finding ADC to DVI converters (that is, adapters for connecting a DVI monitor to the ADC port), as most of the places I've found online seem to confuse ADC to DVI with DVI to ADC - that is, they sell the ability to connect an ADC monitor to DVI port and cost around $100 (~£60).

The thing is, I could upgrade my order to include the 6800 Ultra DDL for around £120 ($200) and just have two native DVI ports and not need an adapter (however I am aware I'd lose a PCI slot).

Firstly my question is can anyone tell me what the cheapest / simplest way to connect a DVI panel to the ADC port is, or secondly, should I just get the 6800 Ultra DDL??
  2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    The Apple Store (UK) sells an ADC to DVI Display Adapter for £29.00 any genuine Apple reseller should have it in stock or be able to order it for you.

The question really is, is the £100 difference for the GeForce 6800 affordable or good value for you?

If so get the new card otherwise call a reseller or order the adapter online.
  3. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001
    Gona be a while before the 6800 ships, just get the adaptor.
  4. Skiniftz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2004
    Thanks. I saw that adapter, but was put off by the fact it specifically mentions the G4. Is the G5 ADC connector identical? I would imagine it may be. If so this would be the easiest solution I think.

Thing is if I'm spending £29 it is only ~£70 more for the new card which isnt really a problem - just depends on how long I have to wait. (Bear in mind I've been waiting since January this year for an updated G5, ordered a DP2.5 about an hour after they were announced and have been told I have to wait until August anyway...).
  5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    Check out the benchmarks in this article:

The 6800 Ultra has twice the performance of the Rad 9800 at higher resolutions. I am over the moon about this card being available for the Mac. I had intended to buy the new 23" Cinema when it came out to replace my old style 20" but now I think I'll keep my old monitor and get a new vid card instead.
  6. Skiniftz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2004
    Ok I'm thinking about this more and more - how long before it (actually) ships do we think?
  7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    If those benchmarks are accurate I say go for the card.

The US online store states "Shipping late August" I imagine it would have to be about the same for the UK. The new 30" display is useless without this so I think they'll release it ASAP, it's not like with the G5 waiting for IBM to ramp up production.

I guess ultimately It depend whether you can wait that long, I think it's probably worth the wait.
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The 6800 won't add more than a week or two to your order, likely, if that.

It'll be much more powerful.

It won't rquire an ugly adapter in the back.

Go for it.

I want to buy one to replace the 9600 in my Rev A dual-2.0. I'm just trying to find a reason to do so, as I only have a 20" display, and I doubt I need it for anything. I just want it.
  9. Skiniftz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2004
    I called Apple earlier - they said that G5's are expected to ship first two weeks in July, but 6800 not until "late august".

Having read around it looks like there is going to be a PCI-X version of the 6800 in the future, so I'm sticking with the 9800XT for 12 months or so.

I'll review the situation in a year.
  10. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Are you sure you're not confusing it with the PCI-E(xpress) version? That's probably a good time into the future since it whould require new macs. It makes no sense for NVIDIA to make a PCI-X 6800.

I think a 9800XT will be good enough for most tasks for a good while, unless you're aiming for gaming heaven on one of those new LCDs...