ADC For Students

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by merlin_1102, Mar 10, 2006.

1. merlin_1102 macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2005

I posted a few days ago I was debating between getting an iMac and a MacBook. Someone in the thread mentioned the discount I get with ADC. Oh, sorry if I should have continued the old thread, but this seem to be an entirly new topic.

I was woundering if someone could clear somethings up for me. I have always intended to get ADC as I would actually be a student developer and would like access to a lot of the development tool kits. I did not however plan to get my ADC until after I purchased my Apple as it only lasts for a year I believe. Therefore I would like to get the most out of it. This means I would not be using my discount and have not considered using my discount for the reasons stated below. Can someone please confirm or deny them for me?

1: Some of the discounts really don't buy you anything. E.g. getting the discount and then purchasing the iBook can actually cost you more. There is also no price list available so I can check out the prices (I am admidably intrested in the prices of IMac and Macbook at the moment, but I might decide to wait for the iBook as my friend working at Apple said that it would do everything I wanted and more but he could not say anything else... he was very tight lipped :( and would not even give me a date).

2: If you order through the ADC with the large discount your last on the list to get the product and it could take up to 6 or months to ship (if I order something I would like it within a month max).

3: Not everything in the regular store is available

4: You can get better deals on Ebay or Amazon (new).

If you could confirm or deny those statements it would be appreciated.
    Sorry again if I should have just continued the other thread.
  2. macmanmatty macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    All the discount is One time purchase that gives you 20% off of any apple product excluding refurbs. Nothing more. Most if not all of those statments would be lies
  3. merlin_1102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2005
    Just want to confirm. Is it 20% for every product? So 20% off an iBook and 20% off an IMac? There no real scew? Even in the Canadian stores?
  4. asencif macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    Well the ADC is $99 dollars and gives you some added goodies like the Tiger OS, however when a new OS is about to be released sometimes you get sent a free upgrade or have access to download a build. The discount is tremendous on most items as a Quad would be $2599 and a MBP 2.0 $1999, so it depends on how much are going to take advantage of the membership. I know that members also got to purchase the Intel Dev Kit and then got a 17' inch Intel iMac as a trade-in.
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    See this page for the hardware program. Also see the links on that page to the Developer Store...all prices are in there.
  6. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    asencif is right about the prices on the quad and mbp. The 20% discount only applies to the mbp/powerbook and the powermac lines I'm almost certain. The discounts on everything else is 10% I believe. Some items (like the apple displays) are actually cheaper from the edu store than they are through the developer store.

follow wild cowboy's link and then click on the link for ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store right under "ordering information". You can see all the prices that you get through the ADC.

The membership was worth it to me simply because I got the tiger DVD when it was released. They also sent out another tiger install DVD when it hit 10.4.3 I think. My main reason for joining was the hardware discount though - my eye is on a dual core powermac, which is one of the 20% discount items. Also note that all the BTO options (add ons) are also 20% off. So for example, the 7800GT upgrade in the retail store is $400, in the edu store it's $360, and in the adc store it's $320 (for the dual core 2.0). If you have a lot of BTO options, the savings can add up.

To answer your questions:

1. depends what you get. if you get any of the pro line machines, it'll well worth the money. if you get a mac mini, then it's not - but you do get the OS releases. $2000 1.83ghz mbp is $1600 from the adc store, a savings of $400, which makes the $99 worth it. You even save $200 over the edu price. but if you get applecare, do it through the edu store - there's no discount for that in the adc

2. i can't say for sure cause i haven't ordered from the ADC store yet, but I don't think this is true. everytime I price something, even if it's bto, it usually has the same ship estimates as the regular store.

3. may be true, but I haven't seen any examples of this.

4. again, this depends on what you get. i'm almost positive you won't be able to get a better deal on a brand new pro series mac through amazon or ebay. compare to retail or even edu though, amazon might give you a better price simply because of the rebates and no tax to most states. however, you can't customize (bto) your mac through amazon (ie, upgrade HD) - you'll have to do it yourself after you get it.
  7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    2. Not true. Developer orders are placed alongside all other orders, and when ordering you will be told shipping times (there are occasionally discrepancies between the retail and developer stores).

3. Everything is available to order, but not everything is discounted. iPods and most accessories, for example, are not discounted. It's the DEVELOPER store, so they focus on discounts for things that would actually facilitate...development.

Also keep in mind that the student developer discount is one per lifetime. So if you are 18 now and make an order (any order), for example, and you find yourself in grad school 9 years from now, you can't get a discount. You'd have to buy one of the "real" memberships to get a discount.
  8. merlin_1102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2005

Thanks for the advice. I know its a one time offer, I am in third year of University, almost in 4th so I am expecting I will not need it again soon.
    Does the iMac get the 20% or 10% discount? What about the iBook? I am guessing no.

Edit: Given the link the above question seems rather stupid. Sorry, was not thinking much when i wrote that.