Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Since this deals with ADC no point in starting a new thread.

I am looking at the new 15' inch whenever it comes... :rolleyes:

I am looking at the ADC student discount as one option for buying.

But if I would look elsewhere would I a cheaper place to buy a powerbook instead of ADC?

Just want to make sure I am getting the best deal.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by scifi451
But if I would look elsewhere would I a cheaper place to buy a powerbook instead of ADC?

Just want to make sure I am getting the best deal.

I normally wouldn't dignify this with a response, but ADC isn't a "deal"... and GL finding a place that gives you more than 20% off, even as an Apple employee. There is always the option of theft if you want more than 20% off...

usr122122121

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
I don' t know if it will sway your decision any, but in the legal fine print for ADC Hardware Purchases, there's a clause that reads:
6. Participants in the ADC Hardware Purchase Program agree not to resell or otherwise transfer any items purchased for a period of at least one year from the date of shipment, and agree that all equipment ordered under the ADC Hardware Purchase Program will be used only for the purpose of developing software and/or hardware products that will be sold for use with Apple products.
Also, there's no class restriction. I'm a music major who programs on the side, and I'm an ADC Student. You don't have to be taking Dev. Classes, but, according to the legal mumbo-jumbo above, you have to use the computer solely for programming. ick.
-braxton

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by usr122122121
all equipment ordered under the ADC Hardware Purchase Program will be used only for the purpose of developing software and/or hardware products that will be sold for use with Apple products.
the thing is most developers don't do that...and it's not like apple even cares :p

but anyway, if you can find anyone that can offer you a brand new mac for 20% off...tell me about it!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"6. Participants... agree that all equipment ordered under the ADC Hardware Purchase Program will be used only for the purpose of developing software and/or hardware products that will be sold for use with Apple products."

Wait, let me see if I understand this. If I use my ADC discount to buy a new G5 to code on and also use it to post on macrumors, I'm violating the user agreement?

Apple clearly can't believe people will follow such a user agreement, and they honestly have no reason to care if you use the computer for things in addition to developing. So why do they even have that absurd user agreement? Or am I understanding their meaning incorrectly?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Of course its 20%... sales tax isn't part of a discount.

They have the user agreement so people buy them for the reason the program exists, to develope software.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I'm thinking about joining the student ADC but a lot of things are made unclear on the site. Everyones agree'd that web objects cost an extra $99 right? Would I actually get a free version of Pather if i ordered now, as if i can get it free, I'll get a powerbook, otherwise i'll struggle on at university without one till it's bundled (course fees are already more than i can really afford and its a requirement to by a laptop - i'm funding with loans and sont really want to pay extra on top for pather too)

While the site gives the price of the us discounts, I live in the UK, and when you go to the eupore part of student ADC, it just sends you to the regular store and doesn't show you any discounted price. Does anyone know how much a 15" powerbook would be on ADC in the uk? Plus there is a budle offer on the normal edu site in uk, save £120 if you buy a ipod with a mac, and £180 if you buy a laptop and printer. If i was to buy a iPod with my powerbook, would that be discounted as well, otherwise if i go down that route, it may be cheaper to just get the powerbook+iPod at normal edu price. Plus it only gives the sign up fee in US$, not in £'s or €'s.

I should qualifty for this as i've just been accepted on a MSc in Internet and distro systems at Durham. Only thing is the requirments are a pc laptop with windows and linux duel boot, M$ Office and JBuilder. They do a discount purchase sceme there but it's with IBM. If i can get away with it, i'd prefere to pay a bit more and get a Apple (what doesn't have to duel boot to run office and unix, dunno about Jbuilder?)than a £1400 IBM i dont really want...but hey at least its not a DEll. Only thing is i'll have to go though the added expense of buying VirtualPC and Office :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.