ADC Student Discount

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Phatpat, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'm about to buy a new computer and Apple's ADC Discount seems like it might be a good idea. I think it would be cool to learn a little bit more about developing from this, but the main focus is price. I have a couple questions that I though I might find answers to from the Macrumors community.

Verifying my status: I don't yet have a Student ID or schedule, as I'm going to be a freshman in the fall. I am 18, can I just sent them any letter Northwestern has sent me? The website just says it has to prove your enrollment, but I would like some clarification on this.

Purchasing: Could I buy from my local Apple Store, or does it have to be online? This isn't a big deal, but I would prefer to go to Woodfield and pick it up personally.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: ADC Student Discount

OH GOD WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SEARCH THESE FORUMS BEFORE THEY POST THERE HAS GOT TO BE AT LEAST 100 THREADS ABOUT THE STUDENT DISCOUNT!!!
    (sorry i just can't believe the sheer number of ADC student discount related threads)
    okay to save you time: it's online only IIRC and you need to prove that you're a student and in some cases a student taking classes related to computers. you need to be CURRENTLY enrolled. like you need to send them your schedule of classes kinda thing.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Strange coincidence. Hmmm.....it may have something to do with those nifty little G5's that popped up from nowhere. ;)

SOLUTION: We're talking about it HERE [​IMG]

4. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Abstract: Thanks for the link, that's the thread that inspired this. Maybe I should've just replied to that thread...but it didn't seem to be going anywhere and I thought I might get better results here.

Does "currently" enrolled mean taking classes at the moment? I though it might also work during the summer :-\ Maybe I will just get a 12" powerbook now, sell it next year, and ADC a g5 12" or maybe even 15".

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

yes it does. i don't think it works during the summer...

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

please don't abuse the Student ADC discount. yes it IS a great deal, and it IS very enticing, but if it gets used too much apple will stop offering it and actual people that really want to do developing but need the discount to get them started. these forums have been littered with people lately trying to abuse the Student ADC system. it's just wrong.

7. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I acknowledge that the main reason I'm interested is the discout, but I have to say I am also interested in developing. I know nothing about it, and it sounds like you get a lot of information and stuff about it with the ADC program. I guarantee you I won't just get the discount and forget about it. I want to learn, and if this gets me into developing it worked for Apple. That's the risk they're taking with this program, and I think it can easily pay off for them in the end.