Add a second display to your Mac mini

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 13, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors newbie

This is HUGE! Lack of dual monitors was all that was keeping me from getting a mini.

3. macrumors 68040

shamino

I wonder how well it will perform.

You obviously can't transfer hi-res video over USB. Even USB 2.0 wouldn't have enough bandwidth. Which means they must have a fairly powerful video card in the device - allowing the OS to upload bitmaps and drawing commands, which the converter can then render and display.

I remember a similar device being sold years ago (with a SCSI interface) in order to bring color video to a Mac Plus. I like the idea of this piece of history repeating itself.

4. macrumors 65816

redeye be

very nice, but wouldn't this put a huge burdon on the cpu?

5. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hmm interesting to say the least.

6. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Dude be careful. USB 2 bandwidth sucks. Heck even FireWire 800 I'd be nervous about. There is a reason why video cards are directly connected to a systems FSB.

7. macrumors regular

hmmm

I'm wondering if you could use this with Keynote. Put the control screen on the USB2 screen, and put the slides on the 32meg video card. No need for super performance on the control screen. I e-mailed them for a test unit, hopefully they'll let me review it and test it out with Keynote to see how it performs.

8. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We are a Tritton distributor for Canada -- so I'll be able to test it on my Mini as soon as it comes out.

The bandwidth required is all about the number of pixels times the colour depth. USB2 is quite happy with 800 x 600 (0.5 MP) or 1024 x 768 (0.8 MP)resolutions at full colour. You wouldn't expect it to go to 1600 x 1200 resolution (almost 2 MP).

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

9. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

An external video card. Not a bad idea. They probably should have used FireWire though if they wanted anything actually like AGP (1x) performance though. On the other hand, with Q2DE (once Apple actually enables it :rolleyes: ) that should be a moot point for the most part. You won't be able to play UT2k4, but it should be quite serviceable for everyday use.