Add another 512mb RAM to Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tommyg117, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hey All! I have a 15" Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz. and 512 RAM. I was wondering if I bumped up the ram with another 512, would I notice a significat difference in performance, or would it not be worth it? I do some light video editing and music recording, but nothing too intense. Let me know! Thank you!!

2. 1nsanity macrumors regular

Off course!!! the more ram the better!

I would say try 1gig. Newegg has a kingston stick of 1 gig ddr333 for 90$!!

3. Bear macrumors G3

More memory would probably help you. Since the price of the 1 GB sticks of memory aren't that high, you might want to consider adding 1 GB.

4. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Will adding this kind of RAM be compatible with my Powerbook? And does it have enough room for that much? Is it hard to install? I was going to just buy it from the apple store because I know it will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Whatever you do, don't buy from the apple store, it is ridiculously over priced. Several companies guarantee compatibility. Try crucial.com, or my personal favorite, otherworldcomputing.com.

7. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Thanks for the advice on otherworldcomputing.com. That is a great site that I didn't know about. I found some memory that I was interested in, this would fit in the other slot in the computer next to the one occupied with 512 MB and not mess with the computer in any bad way when I put it in?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/2700DDRS1GBC/

Thank you for all your help!

8. hookahco macrumors regular

no matter where you by ram from, make sure it is reliable.. nothing is worse than bad ram.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That would seem to work, in my 15" Powerbook 1.67ghz I have a 512mb module that was included from Apple and a 1gb module that I got from OWC and I have had no problems with using my powerbook since I installed the 2nd module.

10. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Great! I will try it out and let you know how it goes, thanks a bunch.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, that woudl work, I also recommend looking at Data Memory Systems They are Mac people, and honest.

12. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I really need to upgrade my PowerBook's RAM to 1.5 GB. I'm long overdue... :eek:

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It depends. What kind of applications to you run? How often do you reboot it?

14. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I use Reason and ProTools for music and I just use iMovie for the film editing(I told you it was minor film editing, haha). But It seems to get a little slow when some of these apps are open.

15. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Ok, so upon further examination of my computer. I have 256 mb in each memory slot. Would it be at all detrimental to my computer if I were to get a 1 gig stick of memory and put it in the upper slot while leaving the 256 in the lower slot in the computer? If I can do that, will I have to perform any additional installations when my computer turns back on or will the computer automatically recognize that I have installed more memory and function regularly, well, faster, but without any errors?

16. kewpid macrumors regular

The Powerbook should automatically recognise your new memory. After it is installed, go to the Apple menu > About this Mac, and see if it registers as having 1.25GB of memory.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't run these myself but I imagine iMovie alone is a RAM hog.

18. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

If you are using Reason and ProTools, you want as much RAM as you can afford. I ended up going with Crucial RAM, as i had problems with OWC's RAM. I also upgraded to an faster HD and all of my audio programs (and everything else) and much, much, much faster.

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If you can afford it, sell both the 256 sticks and buy a 1 GB stick. Then later, buy a second 1 GB stick and relish in the RAM-ee-ness of it all. :D

20. Bear macrumors G3

If the system is still under warranty (or AppleCare) the person needs to keep at least one stick of Apple memory. Also, 256MB memory modules don't fetch much, so the person might as well go to 1.25GB

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Never knew that about AppleCare... my 12" has its Apple-RAM soldered on to the motherboard for all time. :)