Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Would it still be eligible? It's only been a week and my friend cracked a 6.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i could suggest you to get AppleCare+ over the phone and wait a few days before saying you just broke it but obviously i am not gonna do that :p

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
i could suggest you to get AppleCare+ over the phone and wait a few days before saying you just broke it but obviously i am not gonna do that :p
Nothing like a bit of fraud in the morning.

If you broke it without insurance, you can try and blag it with them but otherwise just pay for it to be fixed. It's not their responsibility to fix it if your friend broke it.

Reactions: ABC5S and old-wiz

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
The charge to replace the screen on an iPhone 6 is $109. The charge to replace the screen with AppleCare+ is $99 plus $79.00 deductible. Cheeper just to pay for a screen replacement.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I asked AppleCare and she said it can be if Apple fixes the screen

Oh, yes, they could probably pay Apple to fix the screen then pay to add AppleCare.

What you can't do is add AppleCare, then try to get your cracked screen fixed. That's fraud.

frazzm737

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
What you are discussing is out and out fraud! You've admitted that your friend broke the screen and now you want apple to fix it for nothing? That is fraud!

Reactions: ABC5S

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I asked AppleCare and she said it can be if Apple fixes the screen

Whoever told you that gave you the wrong information. Think about it. How would any company, let alone Apple, let you add any type of protection plan or insurance on something that was already accidental damaged? What's the point? If that was the case there'd be no need to add on ANY type of protection plan prior to buying a phone or any device. Let's just wait till it's damaged. Makes total sense.

Reactions: ABC5S

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Whoever told you that gave you the wrong information. Think about it. How would any company, let alone Apple, let you add any type of protection plan or insurance on something that was already accidental damaged? What's the point? If that was the case there'd be no need to add on ANY type of protection plan prior to buying a phone or any device. Let's just wait till it's damaged. Makes total sense.

My granddaughter (with her mother alongside) about 3-4 weeks ago took her 5 month old broken screen 5S into an Apple store and that is EXACTLY what they told her. "If you buy AC+ will we cover the screen replacement for you under the plan." She went in just to have it replaced with NO intention of buying AC just paying the cost for replacement which she saved up for like 3 months.

This offer has been documented MANY times all over the web over many years. It's just exceptional customer service (plus they are selling their plan). AC+ is not "insurance" it's simply a service plan for an electronic device. While most other companies would never do that Apple (as much as I hate them) tries to go the extra mile for a customer.

Consider it a "perk" from a company that sells overpriced electronics trying to do good for their customers and maintain their reputation. That's one of the reasons why they are so highly rated for customer service. Think of it as like Costco who will take back and refund a fully eaten turkey from a customer who brought in the carcass 2 weeks after Thanksgiving because they felt it wasn't good enough, or fully refund a 4 year old vacuum cleaner because the customer SAID it should last longer (I swear, I saw it with my own eyes plus a lot more). Sometimes the GOOD WILL is worth millions (or billions in the case of Apple). Doing this "favor" for a customer might cost Apple $10 in the end but generates 100 more customers worth a lot more money then it cost them to fix it because of the goodwill it generated.

Here is an interesting article: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...es/7-customer-service-lessons-companies-best/

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Oh, yes, they could probably pay Apple to fix the screen then pay to add AppleCare.

What you can't do is add AppleCare, then try to get your cracked screen fixed. That's fraud.

That's what I'm asking. Apple themselves will fix the screen for 109. Then AppleCare plus can be added for 99.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
What you are discussing is out and out fraud! You've admitted that your friend broke the screen and now you want apple to fix it for nothing? That is fraud!

What are u talking about? I think you're confused. Apple will fix the screen for 109 then AppleCare plus will be added for 99. Please stop accusing when you don't know the details.

I asked 2 AppleCare representatives. Both said the same thing. If Apple fixes the screen for 109 then AppleCare plus can be added for 99. It was bought within the 60 day window. Maybe you were given wrong info.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
What Apple will do is offer you a choice.

1, pay for screen to be fixed

2, apply apple care and then use one of your accidental breakages to repair/replace the phone.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Sigh. What they've said is if Apple fixes the screen for 109 AppleCare plus can then be added for 99. Because they're fixing it and it's still within 60 days it can be done. 2 different AppleCare reps.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If you read the post a little better you would see that the question is whether or not Apple would add AC+ after paying to get the screen fixed. It is a valid question, and does not constitute fraud. In fact, even asking Apple to fix the screen is not fraud unless you lie about the circumstance AND they fix it. Please try not to jump to conclusions so quickly next time, and instead try to understand the post and answer the question at hand.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
OP, you should have never posted here, but go straight to Apple.

It's my friend whose phone is in question. He asked me, I thought someone here might know before I called Apple. Lol I shouldn't have posted here? Not my fault others couldn't read my posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.