Add manual subtitles to .mpeg

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Whiteapple, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Hello everyone!

I really don't know how to use video software, and I need to add (type them myself) french subtitles to an existing .mpeg movie (home-made), where english subtitles already appear from time to time (when the language spoken is Bengali and needs translation). I really don't know how to do this, I have tried with iMovieHD but I got lost very quiclky. The film is 10 minutes long. In clear, I'm asking for help to add subtitles over existing ones, so french people who can't read nor listen to english, can understand this movie.

THank you very much!

PS: I have a iBook 1.33GHz, and can "add" any software:rolleyes: The only problem is that it has to be completed by next week end.

:)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

What version of iLife do you have? Does this work for you?

3. Whiteapple thread starter macrumors regular

Whiteapple

iLife' 06. I've read about this "subtitile" funtction, but I got no sound after importing the .mpeg in my project, which is why it is hard add subtitles. Surely some n00b trick I have done there, but here I am, with no sound :)

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Oh, so iMovie is missing your audio to begin with? Okay, you will need to find a way to fix that, I guess. :)

If the movie plays in QuickTime or VLC, you could use one of those to save the soundtrack as a separate AIFF file (MP3, AAC etc. would work too), then import the sound separately into iMovie.

If you can't get the sound to export from either of those for some reason, you could instead use something like Wiretap or Audio Hijack. The problem with those is that you would then have to fiddle with synchronisation.

5. Whiteapple thread starter macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Oh, that's a good idea I hadn't thought of:)

Thanks for the advice, I will try that, assuming I have to upgrade to Quicktime Pro:rolleyes:

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You may want to peek at the video first and see if it has muxed audio (in QuickTime player, Window->Show Movie Properties). If so, QuickTime Pro may not be able to extract it, and you may need to use the Audio Hijack method (which can actually work very well).

there are more ideas in this old thread.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Actually, if anyone can recommend any subtitling software or how-to's for OSX, I would be very interested. I'm interested in subtitiling sign language videos for the sign-disabled.

This seems to be one area that OSX really lags behind Windows. (in both creating and viewing subtitles).

One explanation I was told is that millions of anime fanatics in the USA all run Windows, and have put huge amounts of time and work into creating free programs to create and display fan-subtitles for their favourite japanese imports.

Dunno if that's true or not.

8. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin